Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock retard... quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock retard... quick question

well there seems to be so many methods to tuning I just picked one and I'm trying to go with it, I'm using the tuning doc file from the stickies here.

I've got my LTFTs in line and I'm about to start WOT - PE tuning but first the doc says to eliminate knock retard.

from the doc file

4. ELIMINATING KNOCK RETARD -
A. In the VCM Scanner>Histogram display>Retard, look for ANY knock retard. For example, cell (4.0, .20) shows 4 degrees of knock retard. This should be 0, so SUBTRACT 4 from the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving>High Octane (4000, .20) cell. Values cannot be less than zero in this table.
B. In the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving> High Octane, go to the (4000, .20) cell AND/OR whatever other cells that have knock retard and SUBTRACT the amount of knock retard that is present in the Histogram display from the value that is in the corresponding cell in the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving>High Octane table. Subtract by simply clicking on the Plus selection and in the box type -4 or whatever number you have to subtract by and click commit.
C. Scan again and verify NO knock retard is present. If still present, repeat from step A.
my question is since I'm tuning SD shouldn't I copy this info to the High AND Low Octane tables?

thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

the more I think about it, this seems like a stupid question, and of course I would copy the high to the low again after making changes, or my changes wouldn't affect anything...
Old 09-30-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea copy the high octane over after you make the changes. if you are running stock timing tables, then check the ve fueling. and pe. where do you see knock?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

great, thanks for the info.

I made a few WOT runs and these are the worst and best...

yes stock advance so far... I'm learning as I go so I can say more with pics of my logs than I can with my words.

a freind of mine thought my timing seemed a little high... but my LTFTs and STFTs all stayed within +-5 throughout the run... and the run with worse KR they stay within +- 8 (only a couple cells were that high tho)

now when you say to look at my PE too, I'm not sure I know what to look at there...
Old 09-30-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

shoot me your log over, budchevy358@yahoo.com, i wanna see some of your fuel trim numbers and o2 readings
Old 09-30-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

send your bin too
Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

just sent it out