PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to remove battery for winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Safe to remove battery for winter storage?

I don't want to lose my tune or anything, and my car is gonna sit a long time (a few months or so), and my battery keeps dying since its sitting so long. Can I dosconnect the battery for winter or what?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I ruined an Optima Red by leaving it hooked up. The little red light on the dash will eventually drain the battery dead. Optima tech advised to disconnect the ground.

When you do this you won't lose the tune on the pcm, but you will loose the temporary setting that the car was running on when you last drove it (idle relearn for example). But about fifty miles of driving will put it back to where it was before disconnecting the battery.

You don't want to discharge your battery and not recharge it immediately.

I drive my Camaro about once a month and each time I put it back into storge I disconnect the ground on the new Optima (3 year free replacement warranty). Tune always come back and the car starts right up.

Think about it. We don't have to reflash the pcm if we were to replace the battery because it went bad after 3-4 years.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-11-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:15 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, but when my battery dies I don't wait 4 months to change it either. I have an Odyssey 680, so it goes dead within a couple weeks of storage. I might just put my stock battery back in for now, I can start the car every few weeks and I will drive it if road conditions permit.