Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Hypertech and LS1edit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Hypertech and LS1edit

Ok, so when I purchased my car, it had LS1 edit I was told but also came with a Hypertech Power Programmer III that the previous owner used before the LS1 edit. The place where the LS1 edit was done told me the Hypertech was cleared out and I could do whatever with it, so I sold it over the forums. When the new owner received it, it said that the VIN was mismatched because it was still locked to my car. I told him to send it back to me, which he did, wondering how hypertech could be installed with the LS1 edit too. So I went out in my garage today, plugged in the Hypertech and sure enough, the Hypertech was installed still. So I uninstalled it, and am going to be sending it back out to the new owner. But my question is, does this mean that my LS1 edit is messed up or erased or such? I'm really confused because Eastside told me that they clear hypertech before they do the LS1 edit and that they cant do ls1 edit with hypertech installed. I'm waiting for Ken, the owner of Eastside to talk to, but any ideas on here while I'm waiting? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, your ls1 edit tune is likely changed now too....

hypercrap downloads your calibration... then flashes its own stuff to it
you then had a tune done to your car (using ls1 edit)
when you restored the hypercrap to stock, it likely wrote the stock calibration back tot he PCM

When they say they can clear the hypercrap that's true... LS1 Edit is a FULL tuning software ... it gives you access to many of the tables and you manually modify the tables...

Hypercrap is just a canned tune... totally different things here

when they tuned your car, they likely got rid of the hypercrap tune to start w/a set of known calibration files... but the hypercrap doesn't know that they removed the tune... it just knows that you haven't used it to restore the PCM to pre Hypercrap tuning...

So basically:
You flash a hypercrap tune to the car (previous owner did this)
Hypercrap unit records that it's been used and can't be used on another car
You have your car tuned, they tune the car with LS1 Edit
so your car now doesn't contain the hypercrap tune... but a custom tune... but the handheld doesn't know this... the handheld requires that it flash your original tune (when it was first used on the car) back to your PCM... only way they can easily insure you're not using it on multiple cars....
Old 01-04-2006, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

so now my ls1 edit is gone?

EDIT: I'm bringing it down to Eastside and Ken is going to re-flash my car's file in for me. Ah, Thank God for Eastside Peformance. Recommended.

Last edited by CT ITALIAN 1; 01-04-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely... I've never done any first hand experiements w/hypertech (other than reading the changes it makes) but I believe when you return it to stock, it either does a full write or calibration write to the PCM (either one would effectively remove your LS1 Edit tune unless the hypertech was installed after the ls1 edit tune) with the original data that was in the PCM (the hypertech wasn't intended to be used with multiple tuning/editing softwarez)
Old 01-04-2006, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

ya, the previous owner #$%^'d with it after the LS1 edit I believe. Retards...UGH!! haha
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

If you had both installed , do a read with edit save that file ,uninstall hypertech, sell it then re flash your pcm and your are back to squar 1 ready to go

works for me no problem
my .02' Johnny
Old 01-06-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

thanks, ya, I'm back to stock PCM and getting my ls1 edit file re-flashed tomorrow morning.