Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator question

Hey guys I just put on LT's with an ORY, and am putting on my LS6 intake real soon. I also bought a predator that I will eventually use to custom tune the car with on a friends dyno. I got an SES light after the install (EGR/AIR delete), and will delete the codes with the predator. My question is, should I plug it up and run the preprogrammed tune, or just wait till I can have someone really tweek AFR, and ignition settings? Would it be worth it? What will exactly happen if I just run the preprogrammed tune anyway? When you install headers your supposed to be rich right? So when I run the preprogrammed tune, will it lean it out enough to see any gains?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Anybody??
Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

I hope we see some answers to your question. I put on LTs and ORY and am def running rich. I purchased a predator before winter but havent got a chance to use it yet. I bought it more for my shift points because of my TC.
I was under the impression the predator will give you live read outs of your A/F. I was also under the impression the predator allows you to adjust the A/F.
Not sure if the predator tunes will adjust A/F for LTs. A question I would like to know is once you install the predator tune can you adjust the settings of the tune.
Maybe some searching will provide more answers or someone will chime in and school us.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

The predator can get rid of the codes but it will come back later. You would be better off using another programmer. I have a predator and now HP Tuners and to be truthful the predator was a waste of money for me. I can tune both my cars as with the predator I could not. Get any programming software on a laptop and I think you would be better off.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Amen, handheld programmers are kiddie stuff, get hp tuners, many use it here so there is alot of support.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Wait, so if I tune my car with the predator the tune will stay but the codes will go off again later down the line? WTF? I'm just doin the predator tune for now based on the few simple mods that I have and till I can afford to have it fully tuned with hptuners. So with that said, can anyone give me an answer to my initial question? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

You probably wont get any help. You will just get replies like you got that handhelds are no good.
If you delete codes and dont fix the problem then yes the light will come back on. You should get the code, research it, correct the problem then reset the light.
Oh, and if you install the predator tune and get an SES light and delete it I wouldnt think it would delete the tune. I have had experience with Vinci handheld tuner and you can clear a light without losing the tune.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure that the codes are from removing the emmissions bullcrap, so if I delete the codes for that, eventually they will come back? Also do you think that by using the preprogrammed tune, I will see any gains with the mods I have till I can get it on the dyno?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

by all means install the base tune on the predator. It will help you a little bit, but not enough. The predator with the canned tune will lean out the fuel a little bit, turn off shift light, firm up shift points, delete tq mgt, etc. Then from there you can reduce the af ratio. Keep in mind the afr you adjust is only WOT, doesn't really have much effect on regular cruise, then maybe moving the graph plot up or down a little.

Since you have lt's, and soon intake, you need a custom tune from diablo. RWTD is the one on the web who does most the tunes for everyone. He can help you tweak the settings and go from there. There's not much you can do on a dyno and predator other than get a o2 readout and send into diablo to have them tweak the tune. They do a very good job though, so no worries.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Diablo Sport Help 800-531-5484
Old 01-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

I now have something else to say besides handhelds suck. Cash only, unless your handheld has a OBD2 code editor (not just a scanner!) the lights will indefinitely stay on, I do not know of any handhelds that have that capability. Hp tuners allows you to turn off codes permanently, not just do a diagnostic read and erase. You will need dedicated software like hp tuners or ls1 edit to erase them permanenly.