PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine due to knoc censor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine due to knoc censor?

hey guys so i finally got the code that has my check engine light on..... it was code 0327, after i checked with the technician he said it was a knock censor causing the problem.... he told me it could be very serious or maybe nothing at all.... he said it could be caused by my battery being drained and jump starting it all time, also he said my spark plugs being old or my rebuilt tranny which has me at constant high rpm range could have something to do..... he said if its serious it could destroy my motor.... and im shiting bricks right now cuz ive only had the car for like 5 months..... if in worst case scenerio and there is is something damaged is it expensive to fix or rebuilt...the tranny went out on me and had it professionally rebuilt and it cost me a pretty good penny.... and now this..... its pissing me off cuz i was told that the ls1 cars were reliable... im spending all my mod money on fixing the damn thing.... one more thing my change oil light comes on all the time once i start the car.... its goes off after a minute but its getting on my nerves..... the car gets an oil change evry 3k miles and i know theres away to rest it so that the lihgt goes away..... i have a 99 formula ws6 1le........ help guys its my problem serious or just a censor sending false codes.....what do you recommend.... and can i still race my car or is that to risky......thanx
Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I am not an expert so please seek other opinions please. My Haynes manual lists the code as low output from your front knock sensor. I do not know how this related to jump starting, tranny, or spark plugs. Ususally the sensor will fail from a coolant leak or water somehow getting at the sensor.

I think that when a KS fails the system will pull timing. This will degrade performance and drivability but will not destroy the engine. I had a KS fail on my old car (not an LS1) and the system pulled timing. You could feel it was low in power. Please check this fact first before racing.

The KS and circuit can be checked with a multi-meter. The KS is located under the intake so it is a fairly big job to repair. However, this may be a good opportunity to start your mods with an ls6 manifold swap.
JA
Old 01-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Teching In

That code is usually caused by the rear knock sensor. Water runs down into the rear hole of the valley and corrodes the connector. The sensor itself is usually ok. GM's fix is to clean up the connector good and make sure there is good terminal tension on it. Then build a dam around the front 3/4 of the hole with RTV. Also if there is foam on the underside of the manifold remove the rear one and discard. Once the intake is off you will see what i mean by making the RTV dam.