Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deleting ALL unused wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default deleting ALL unused wiring question

I'm in the process of rebuilding my car that caught on fire last year and I have a question about it. I am deleting EVERYTHING I don't need. The car will have headlights and tailights, that's it. My question is what does the pcm NEED to run properly? Do I need to retain any of the body harness or can I just run the engine harness and be good to go? I would like to wire in my own fuel relays, gauges, starter, water pump, headlights, brake lights, etc... but keep the ability of EFI and my HPtuners. Thanks for any help guys!

Jeffrey
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of what you need is on the engine harness.
You'll need some 12v feeds and grounds on the fenderwell connectors. (some constant, some switched on when the ignition is on)
The pcm wants a signal from the bcm before it will tell the fuel pump to run. (unless you turn off vats, or run your own 12v feed to the fuel pump.)
If you have an automatic, there's a connection to the brake switch, that's used to disengage the torque converter clutch.

Your best bet is to go through a Helms manual for the 3 fenderwell connectors and the 3 under-dash connectors, and figure out what you'll still need.

You may find some information scattered around in the Conversion forum.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, did some more searching and found a number of posts on it in the drag racing forum. I should be good to go now. Thanks!

Jeffrey