PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help changing 98 car to 99-up engine harness/PCM etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help changing 98 car to 99-up engine harness/PCM etc.

Ok guys, I am really confused about this now. I am trying to change my 98 car over to 99 engine harness and PCM and I'm getting different opinions as to what all I need to complete the change.

I originally thought that I just need the newer ENGINE harness, PCM, gauge cluster, and fuel tank/pump assemblies. Now I have compared connector schematics for 98 and 99 gauge clusters and it appears the wiring in the connector is totally different. So does this mean that I will have to change the entire BODY harness also???!!! If that is the case I may reconsider this endeavor.

I had thought that this was a fairly straight forward and common thing to do but I can't imagine everyone changing out the body harnesses. That seems like alot of work. I am just basically trying to update the PCM so I can eliminate the gay a$$ secondary PE table and have an easier time tuning once I get the new engine and turbo installed.

Is there a better, reasonably priced alternative to get the desired results???
What if I just bought the HP tuners 2 or 3 bar SD tuning package? I have HP tuners already and access to EFILive through a friend. What is the best way to go? I don't want to run into tuning issues after spending big $ on an engine and turbo setup! Do I have to have the 99-up PCM?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've debated this, and decided that if i was going to tackle it, it would be full wiring harness, body included. With plastic fuel tank, and crappy 99+ cluster without working temp gauge.

Somebody has posted that some sponsor has a conversion harness, but I hever seen it.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think speed inc has an adapter
Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

So basically converting is the best way to go but the body harness does have to be changed?

I have heard also that a 99+ engine harness and PCM can be installed but the outputs to the cluster would have to be repinned to match the 98 harness and the temp gauge still wouldn't work but an aftermarket one could be wired up (which would be better anyway).