PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES light- low O2 sensor reading.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES light- low O2 sensor reading.

Hey everyone. I just bought my 98 Z28 w/ 39k miles a few days ago. Its throwing a code that says "low o2 sensor reading bank 1 sensor 1". I've reset the light a few times just because I hate the light but here's my question: When the light comes back on its obviously after I have been driving a little ways, twice it has come back on at full throttle/near full throttle and once it has come back on while i was just cruising gently. Is this just a bad sensor, or is something really wrong since twice it came on at basically WOT?? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97MysticZ
Hey everyone. I just bought my 98 Z28 w/ 39k miles a few days ago. Its throwing a code that says "low o2 sensor reading bank 1 sensor 1". I've reset the light a few times just because I hate the light but here's my question: When the light comes back on its obviously after I have been driving a little ways, twice it has come back on at full throttle/near full throttle and once it has come back on while i was just cruising gently. Is this just a bad sensor, or is something really wrong since twice it came on at basically WOT?? Thanks for any help.
Could be a bad sensor perhaps. Have you checked the reading from the other front sensor. A low reading makes the ECU think its running lean, perhaps it is realy running lean and the sensor is okay. If its only running lean on one side then its probably not the pump, but perhaps a blocked injector, but then it would feel a little rough while driving. The first thing i would do is to see what the other O2 is reading. Also the one after the car, cause if the one after the cat is showing usual AFR and the one in front says lean then that would point me towards a sensor going duff.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
What's a Sticky?

Okay. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the front two o2 sensors and then just go from there.

BTW- the car is stock except for lid and catback.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the front O2s are an emissions control device... I wonder if they can be replaced under warranty? (the 8 year/80k fed warrantything)

Not sure if they'd consider O2s normal wear though....
Old 03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldent replace them right off i would swap them first and see if the code follows the sensor. Then check for exaust leaks if the code is on that side still.