PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laptop+Scanner+Brains=Tuning (Maybe?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop+Scanner+Brains=Tuning (Maybe?)

Here is a new question for you guys (hopefully ). If I have a laptop and a code scanner (OTC Code Scanner) with a usb plug and of course an OBDII plug, can I tap through it with my laptop to use the setup for programming? I'm just trying to "PLAY" I'm not really in the mood right now to spend $600 on a kit to tune that is gonna get used once, but I spent $220 on a scanner for work and a grand on a useful laptop so if I could get through this way it would be awesome! Thanks ahead of time!
Old 03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, you need an interface that allows progamming. unfortunately, you need to pay to play with your car.

Ryan
Old 03-14-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or a friend who is a good programmer. im sure i could give my brother 30 min with an obd-II and a laptop and he would figure out how to do anything.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can figure out how to do anything in 30 minutes, I'd like to meet you.

Ryan
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

I'm pretty sure ***** Wonka could hook up a Chocolate Tornado intake in line with the scanner all you would have to do is get more Brontosaurus Burgers so Fred Flintstone could Yabba Dabba Do his feet faster. Don't worry my brother inlaw figured this out while on the Jon just a few seconds ago.

Your'e not kidding right, cause I'm thinking we could market this.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
if you can figure out how to do anything in 30 minutes, I'd like to meet you.

Ryan
werd...I got a dozen obd2 cables...come on up and have at it lol
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

To do any tuning, you need to start with bi-directional cables. Most generic scanners are read only cables. If the cables are bi-directional, they are usually proprietary and you would have to backward engineer the code to use the cable. Then you would have to develop a program to read the PCM, while the PCM has about 512 meg (04 vettes and LS2 engines have 1024) only about 80 is programable. You would have to use a compiler language to develop you program but, unfortunately, GM used a proprietary program language to write the PCM so you would have to hack that language and learn how it works. Then after you have all that working you can trial and error test your program to work out most of the bugs. If you are going to run boost, then you have to rethink the program again for 1,2 or 3 bar changes. Now after about 1-2 years of tinkering and $60-200K in engineering changes, software, etc you might have the ability to program your PCM. There are a few hundred steps I left out but you should get the drift. Other wise you can spend 500-800 bucks and start scanning and programming tomorrow.