PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise at wot is it detonation, KR or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy noise at wot is it detonation, KR or what?

Well, I havnt driven the car very hard for a few months. Just a few quick accelerations but no red line runs, and no spray since last August. Today, I totally detailed the car and I took her for a spin and a quick run down the highway. I pulled onto the highway in 3rd going about 45 or so, went wot up to about 5200rpms, but it was probably more like 5500 by the time I shifted. Somewhere between 4200 and 5000 I began to hear what I thought was massive valve tick that got more pronounced as the rpms increased. I stoped the 3rd gear pull a little early because of the noise, but I kept running 4th to see if the noise continued, which it did. When I got off the interstate I did a quick wot 1-2-3 run but couldnt really hear the noise, although it was there...just not as noticeable.

My mods are in my sig, and I am running on a stock tune. I am not sure if this problem is knock retard or detonation, and to tell you the truth I really dont understand what either of them are. I would really like to fix this problem as soon as possible, but I dont know what to do.

Can I get some suggestions as to what the problem might be and what the best way to resolve it is.

Thanks Guys,
Fry
Old 03-31-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump
Old 03-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I always found detonation to be more random sounding and not anything like a precise ticking.

I honestly think you are doing what I used to do...once you hear a hint of a noise you tend to focus on it and before you know it the noise becomes deafening.

My 02SS, my 00WS6 and my 04Z06 all have either valvetrain or injector noise, and my 00WS6 has a defenite tapping you can hear if you put your head down under the car around just behind the front wheel.

I just put it down to race car noises!!

If you are still unsure, try switching gas stations...I had one episode where an Amoco station where I bought gas before I could legally drive got a bad batch of fuel the car knocked all day until I got better fuel mixed in.

just my $0.02
Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Did it throw a code?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a noise at WOT that I thought was knock but turns out that it is the drivers side header vibrating against the kmember at full throttle when the engine torques in that direction. I should have replaced the motor mounts while I had it out (cheap bastard).
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am throwing a secondary air system code, because I unplugged it a whiled back. I havnt scanned it in a while so I dont know if there is a code resulting from that. Also, I was driving around on Saturday night and decided to see if I could make the noise come back. Well, I did a similar highway run, but couldnt get the noise to appear. I know that I heard it and I wasnt hearing things. I do tend to exagerate noises sometimes, but this isnt the first time that it has happend. I just assumed it would go away. Could it have something to do with the fact that I am coming close on an oil change, and maybe there just wasnt great oil flow through the heads? I mean, I would have assumed the noise would have happenend again if it was a true problem.

Thanks guys.
Fry