PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb to tuning with questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Newb to tuning with questions....

Hey guys. I wont be able to do many performance mods to my car for a little while and want to do something so i thought maybe getting ls1edit or hptuners and learning to log and tune might be a good idea? So this way i could perform minor tunes... adjustments, log stuff and whatever else these things do... few questions tho....

1.) Good idea to get one on mostly stock car right now and learn to tune and stuff for long run and such?

2.) Which tuner would you recommend?

3.) What all can they do as far as..... how far can i go into tuning with this? What all does it log?

4.) Will i be able to tune other friend ls1 f-body's as well?

5.) Any other info/tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-11-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check http://www.efilive.com/ or http://www.hptuners.com/ as well as the stickies at the top of this forum and you can answer most of your own questions. As for when you should do it....it's really up to you. You're making an investment of both your time and your money. Personally, I say get into it now if you plan on making significant changes further down the road. That way, you'll be comfortable with tuning your car.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yea def, someone gave me this idea and it sounded pretty cool but i never looked into it so i figured i'd try to get some info. I really have no idea about anything on this, lol. So any input, greatly appreciated

Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Also notice some different versions and options and am totally clueless on all of this.... someone recommend a unit to best suit me?

Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fo shizzle DAWG, lol. Seriously though, if you have the extra $$ for tuning software and the time to learn to tune, then do it, it is a very great thing to learn to do because for every mod you do you will be able to go in and tweak the PCM to keep you running the best you can. I have been tuning for a few weeks now but have been reading up for a long time and I got the hang of it and got my car dialed in real nice and safe with the nitrous. Probably the mest mod ive done if the tuning software and the wideband sensor. And I got old *** LS1 Edit, lol.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

pm sent
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

awesome! Can anyone set aside a few minutes and school me on what i can do with the tuning, what all it does, hard to learn, basic info.... what all i need.... laptop (any specifications?).. which unit? Thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
1.) Good idea to get one on mostly stock car right now and learn to tune and stuff for long run and such?
It's a good idea to own a scan/tune package whether your car is stock or modded; even stock, a car can benefit from various tuning tweaks and corrections.

2.) Which tuner would you recommend?
Go with either HPTuners or EFILive.
Read the stickies, see what people have to say, do not ask which is best, they are both very good and easy to use; the hard part is the tuning learning curve, but you'll master it no problem.

3.) What all can they do as far as..... how far can i go into tuning with this? What all does it log?
They can do ALOT, you can go FAR (IFR, VE, MAF, PE, spark timing, cat, air, egr, fans, RPM/MPH limter, speedo, shift speed/RPM/pressure/time, TR/TM, custom OS's...), you will definitely not be disappointed. There are many parameters that can be logged.

4.) Will i be able to tune other friend ls1 f-body's as well?
Both packages come with some licenses or credits and you will be able to tune 2 F-body PCMs.

5.) Any other info/tips/suggestions?
This is money well spent, very worthwhile, you'll be wondering how you got along without it;
matching up scanned data with the various tune tables teaches you alot about your car and why it runs like it does.

A wideband O2 sensor will allow you to see what is really happening as you tune, this is a good tool to have, and both packages support various WBO's.

Goto HPTuners website and look at the online help/demos.

Goto EFLive website and download/install the software (without a license or cable it runs in demo mode, the install includes some sample tunes and logs for you to play with); EFILive are coming out with new hardware soon (they are testing and preparing for production); if you decide to go with EFILive it will be well worth waiting for the new hardware.

A tuning package is expensive, but it's the best mod you can do to your car.

Regards
Joe

Last edited by joecar; 04-11-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is a lot you can do with it. Control fueling, spark, idle, rev/ speed limiters, recal of speedo. Anything that deals with the PCM. Read the stickys in this forum and the docs in them, they will help you a lot.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok thanks guys. ill go read and learn more. PM received and responded. So i can only do 2 different cars, or 2 years? Mine of course and would like to tune for friends for a minimal fee, lol

Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Default EFI live hardware

I wonder how long this new Hardware will take until it comes out