Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about spark advance at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about spark advance at idle

hey guys i am running the mods in sig with EFILIVE and a SD tune. my main question now is what is the best timing to run at idle?

to start things off....

i was running at 22 degrees at idle...the car smelled pig rich but AF (with LC-1) was reading at 14.5-14.7 at idle...so i figured i was good.

Then i turned the timing up to like 28 degrees at idle and the gas smell got worse....

so recently i turned the timing down to 17 or so and the smell got better...but my Lc-1 is now reading AFR os like 16:1...

What is everyones opinions on this?

Thanks
Louie
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

So you are internally stock? Have you tried AutoVE tuning yet? What are your LTRIMS before and after VE tuning? I would tend to think that if you are still stock internally that the stock idle spark table would be fine. Now if you just have bolt ons you could tweak things up a bit / practice / get the feel for the scanner / tuning software by using the AutoVE proceedure. From my experience a lid, TB, and headers work with the stock calibration, AutoVE tuning tweaks that last bit. After you get the VE in line if you plan on putting the MAF back on or if you just want to practice more you can re cal that table too. For more info on specifics on these topics the Live site has it all.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm guessing one of your two instruments needs to be calibrated..WB or nose.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by half-n-half
so recently i turned the timing down to 17 or so and the smell got better...but my Lc-1 is now reading AFR os like 16:1...
What is everyones opinions on this?
My opinion is that it sounds like you're still running closed loop mode, so you're pissing in the wind.

The code will always be working for 14.7 AFR in closed loop, so when you adjust the timing out of stock range, the PCM will adjust fuel to the point of misfires, which is the fuel you smell in the exhaust.
Just because the O2's measure stoich doesn't mean the burn in the chamber is perfect.