PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Log your wideband with HpTuners without a EIO

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it will help anyone, but I've been doing this for a while, but a different way. I've been running my wideband into the computer via the rear o2 plugs. Its not a direct wire up, but at the time I didn't think about finding a 0-5V analog input that was not needed (like the EGR or A/C temp). The regular 02 reads via a 0-1V analog input. I just took 2 resistors and made a voltage divider so that 5V = 1V. My wideband is linear 0V = 10AFR / 5V = 20AFR. So when logged through the divider its 0V = 10AFR / .5V = 15 AFR / and 1V = 20AFR, (so on and so forth). You can do it in your head by just logging the volage. .352 volts = 13.52 AFR. It makes it really easy to put it on another car because I used the end off of an old stock O2 and it just plugs in to any of the o2 connectors. Plus I get power and ground from the same plug which makes my wide band stand alone via the o2 harness.

I don't know if anyone has had trouble with voltage float, but using this setup with the o2's original independant signal ground (Signal Lo) insurses that the voltage you send to the computer is the exact same voltage the PCM sees.

I have my wide band on several cars and trucks a week tunning and have never had a problem. I even have a different o2 plug to use it on LT1 cars in the same manner plus a single wire connector for loggin the wide band on old old gm stuff since even the old TBI trucks computers will tell you o2 voltage via the ALDL.

Last edited by Bluecat; 05-04-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluecat
I don't know if it will help anyone, but I've been doing this for a while, but a different way. I've been running my wideband into the computer via the rear o2 plugs. Its not a direct wire up, but at the time I didn't think about finding a 0-5V analog input that was not needed (like the EGR or A/C temp). The regular 02 reads via a 0-1V analog input. I just took 2 resistors and made a voltage divider so that 5V = 1V. My wideband is linear 0V = 10AFR / 5V = 20AFR. So when logged through the divider its 0V = 10AFR / .5V = 15 AFR / and 1V = 20AFR, (so on and so forth). You can do it in your head by just logging the volage. .352 volts = 13.52 AFR. It makes it really easy to put it on another car because I used the end off of an old stock O2 and it just plugs in to any of the o2 connectors. Plus I get power and ground from the same plug which makes my wide band stand alone via the o2 harness.

I don't know if anyone has had trouble with voltage float, but using this setup with the o2's original independant signal ground (Signal Lo) insurses that the voltage you send to the computer is the exact same voltage the PCM sees.

I have my wide band on several cars and trucks a week tunning and have never had a problem. I even have a different o2 plug to use it on LT1 cars in the same manner plus a single wire connector for loggin the wide band on old old gm stuff since even the old TBI trucks computers will tell you o2 voltage via the ALDL.
thats pretty cool.
i thought about using the rear O2s as inputs, but i was bugged by the fact that its a 1v input, and while i could set my LC1s output range to meet that, i felt like i was losing resolution.

im glad to hear its working out fine.. i was curious about it, but i didnt try it.

are you using the HPtuner histograms and such with it?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bluecat

This sounds like something I would like. With a setup like this could you get away with just purchasing ONLY the WB sensor? I think doing that would save quite a bit of money.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
are you using the HPtuner histograms and such with it?
No, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I wrote my own stuff to parse a HPtuners log file and spit out the VE percent error. That was back in the v1.7 time frame before the histograms were so configurable. I just never quit using it.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bad Habit Bird
This sounds like something I would like. With a setup like this could you get away with just purchasing ONLY the WB sensor? I think doing that would save quite a bit of money.
Not quite that cheap. You still need electronics to read the WB and spit out the 0-5V signal. Check out PLX's low end unit. Its about as low cost as they come and would work really well with any of the setups described in this post.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitenshinarmor
I went to thier website and yes you are right. I remember now, I had a problem with the update because of the "Microsoft .net framework 1.1". I downloaded it as requested but the upgrade/update would not take. Horist do you know what I need to do to get this to update???
This was a bug in one of the early 2.x versions where it wouldn't recognize dotNet 2+, and has since been fixed. Download and install the latest version for a lot of nice new features!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Teching In

ttt. thanks travis!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wanted to add that in order to get the AFR Error % histo to work, I had to also add the PID for the AFR Commanded High Res. I guess that is what represents the sen.121. III did mine thru the EGR and it works like a charm.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Teching In

hi i dont use a maf any more could i use that for a conection for my lm1
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got this going a while back no wanting to buy the EIO I used the EGR input.
Write up is on here:- http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=Wideband+EGR
Old 07-31-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
I got this going a while back no wanting to buy the EIO I used the EGR input.
Write up is on here:- http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=Wideband+EGR
This is what I'm doing too but I haven't figured out how to correctly do the custom PID in HPTuners. Right now I'm just logging the EGR volts and then I copy results into a spreadsheet and convert the voltages to AFR readings myself...kind of a pain but it works and no EIO charge.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Thats a good start, even better that you know the formula in Excel to change volts to WB reading, we can use that formula in HP tuners.

In the scanner software, go to Table Display right click on a blank cell, click on Insert. Go to 'User defined' then 'Configure User Defined'. Find a blank entry. I named my Wideband(EGR)
In the function box I got ([PID.2811]/.53)+9.8)
PID.2811 is the EGR Voltage in my case, not sure if its the same on all cars/trucks.
The forumula convert the volts form my AEM wideband guage to an Air Fuel Ratio.

So in the configure 'User Defined Box' we have
Name : Wideband (EGR)
Abbv: WBAFR
Sensor: <left blank>
Units: :1

Function is as above.

Now you should have a Wideband PID
Old 08-01-2006, 09:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Set the sensor to be AFR, and everything in the scanner will magically work again.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the help RedWS6 00, I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

I think I might be the first and only '02 Fbody logging my W/B through my EGR...
Old 08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CamTom12
I think I might be the first and only '02 Fbody logging my W/B through my EGR...
I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but did you add the wiring the PCM harnes or what?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I pulled a wire out of the red harness to the PCM that used to run to the AIR system and added it to the blue harness to the PCM where EGR would have been in '99-'00. I did it that way to keep the 'mini-pin' Harness-to-PCM set-up without having to do any jerry-rigging. Works like a champ! (I didn't do a write up though. I figure anyone that's going to try this could probably figure it out since I'm no rocket-scientist myself, haha)
Old 08-13-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamTom12
I think I was the first '00 Fbody
Felt like a pioneer, lol, posted my progress on HPTuners website some time ago, letting people know they dont have to buy the EIO interfae to log WB.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

digging this from the grave anyone know which wire to use for the a/c on a 1998 transam? i took my a/c off so want to do this with my setup.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

found it gray wire on the blue connector #66 for you other 98 guys...........

Quick Reply: How to Log your wideband with HpTuners without a EIO