Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work for a Vette?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a input somewhere in your harness that wont adversely effect the tune, yes... it could.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

I really don't think that HPT supports the A/C and EGR sensors for trucks. Can someone confirm this? I can't seem to be able to setup any A/C or EGR based PIDs.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up running mine off of the rear o2 sensors, it seems to work great so far.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

What do you have to do with the resistors to get it down to 1V? Did you lose any resolution?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
What do you have to do with the resistors to get it down to 1V? Did you lose any resolution?
I just programmed my LC1 to output between 0 and 1v and tied it into the signal for the rear o2 sensor. I haven't put together a pid to do AFR% for tuning but the logs in HPTuners and the software that came with the LC1 look almost perfectly in sync so far.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:53 AM
11 Second Club

Tag for good info
Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

A huge thank you for this info. I set this up via the ac pressure sensor/LC1 and it works perfect on my 02 Z. This method is 1000000% simpler to tune with! This was also a fun project and I am sure many guys will find this write up useful.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Shu
On The Tree

Bump for this thread. Some GREAT info, thanks guys
Old 03-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Bump for my Favs...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol guys while it is a good thread, it's also in the stickies in case you ever need to see it
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

This may be a dumb question, but are you using the stock rear O2 sensor or are you installing the LC-1's O2 that comes with the package? I have Long Tubes with O2 sims in the rear sensor spot. So would I need to install the O2 sensor that comes with my LC-1, or would I use one of the stock O2's. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NVE THIS
This may be a dumb question, but are you using the stock rear O2 sensor or are you installing the LC-1's O2 that comes with the package? I have Long Tubes with O2 sims in the rear sensor spot. So would I need to install the O2 sensor that comes with my LC-1, or would I use one of the stock O2's. Thanks for any info.
Stock O2's are only good for detecting Stoch (14.6:1) AFR. you need to use the WB sensor to read WB.

Also I wouldn't put it behind the cats, you will get a false reading, it will be a little off, but not sure how much, I would put it right next to the front O2 if I had a choice.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Stock O2's are only good for detecting Stoch (14.6:1) AFR. you need to use the WB sensor to read WB.

Also I wouldn't put it behind the cats, you will get a false reading, it will be a little off, but not sure how much, I would put it right next to the front O2 if I had a choice.
Forgive me for being extra stupid, but you're talking about welding the WB bung in the collector and installing it right next to the stock O2 leaving the stock installed as well. Does it matter which side, L or R? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVE THIS
Forgive me for being extra stupid, but you're talking about welding the WB bung in the collector and installing it right next to the stock O2 leaving the stock installed as well. Does it matter which side, L or R? Thanks.
yes he was talking about welding a bung. Does not matter which side, as long as exhaust will hit the sensor thats all you need.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can I make a custom PID to work with a non-linear wideband?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brad8266
Can I make a custom PID to work with a non-linear wideband?
good question.
as far as i know, there isnt a table lookup on it, so you cant directly tune using this method.

you could log the voltage, then copy it into an excel spreadsheet.. then the spreadsheet could spit back out an AFR table.

but thats not nearly as nice.... if at all possible you would probably want to reprogram the wideband for a linear output. (i know thats not possible with them all)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, I just got done wiring my LC-1 to be used connected to the rear o2 sensor. I used the following wiring diagram.

The beauty of this set up is that it is self contained. So I can move it between my 2 Fbodies. All I need to do is put the WB into a welded bung. And connect the harness to the rear o2 sensor connector. Then Log with HP tuners. Note the wiring above is looking at the female end of the connector when you wire the male connector into your LC-1 unit you need to take that into account otherwise you will be flipping A and C, and B and D.

As far as the PID I had to do a bit of extra work. First you need to log the rear o2 sensor voltage. It is under Fuel System>Oxigen Sensors>O2 Voltage B1S2 (SAE) (mV) (if connected to the drivers rear O2)/O2 Voltage B2S2 (SAE) (mV) (if connected to the passenger rear O2). Then you need to create a custom PID. I called mine Rear O2 Voltage (WB), under Abbrv: o2 wb, then leave sensor blank and select afr under units. Now in the Function: this is what I used (([PID.21]/1000)/.125)+10. Note the PID.21 is the rear Driver's side o2 you will want PID.25 for the passenger. Also note that I divided the output of the PID by 1,000. The reason for that is that the pid's output is in mV (millivolts) I need the number in volts so I can compare it with my set range output in the LC-1 (0-1v). .125 is derived for 1v/8. As mentioned in previous posts. So now to the AFR Error. I create another custom PID called AFR Error, under Abbrv: AFR E2, then leave sensor blank and select % under units. Now in the Function: this is what I used 100*(((([PID.21]/1000)/.125)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]. As far as explanation for this one notice I use the same formula that I used in my wideband pid then I subtracted [SENS.121] (which is the commanded AFR) then divided it by the commanded AFR and multiplied it by 100 to get the percentage of error.

I did a couple of logs tonight and started tunning my VE tables and this is so much easier that using fueltrims. I got my VE pretty close in 2 runs. I need to do another run to verify. But it looking good so far. I'll post a picture later of the harness I made for reference purposes.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Killer_Bluebird; 09-02-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird
OK, I just got done wiring my LC-1 to be used connected to the rear o2 sensor. I used the following wiring diagram.

The beauty of this set up is that it is self contained. So I can move it between my 2 Fbodies. All I need to do is put the WB into a welded bung. And connect the harness to the rear o2 sensor connector. Then Log with HP tuners. Note the wiring above is looking at the female end of the connector when you wire the male connector into your LC-1 unit you need to take that into account otherwise you will be flipping A and C, and B and D.

As far as the PID I had to do a bit of extra work. First you need to log the rear o2 sensor voltage. It is under Fuel System>Oxigen Sensors>O2 Voltage B1S2 (SAE) (mV) (if connected to the drivers rear O2)/O2 Voltage B2S2 (SAE) (mV) (if connected to the passenger rear O2). Then you need to create a custom PID. I called mine Rear O2 Voltage (WB), under Abbrv: o2 wb, then leave sensor blank and select afr under units. Now in the Function: this is what I used (([PID.21]/1000)/.125)+10. Note the PID.21 is the rear Driver's side o2 you will want PID.25 for the passenger. Also note that I divided the output of the PID by 1,000. The reason for that is that the pid's output is in mV (millivolts) I need the number in volts so I can compare it with my set range output in the LC-1 (0-1v). .125 is derived for 1v/8. As mentioned in previous posts. So now to the AFR Error. I create another custom PID called AFR Error, under Abbrv: AFR E2, then leave sensor blank and select % under units. Now in the Function: this is what I used 100*(((([PID.21]/1000)/.125)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]. As far as explanation for this one notice I use the same formula that I used in my wideband pid then I subtracted [SENS.121] (which is the commanded AFR) then divided it by the commanded AFR and multiplied it by 100 to get the percentage of error.

I did a couple of logs tonight and started tunning my VE tables and this is so much easier that using fueltrims. I got my VE pretty close in 2 runs. I need to do another run to verify. But it looking good so far. I'll post a picture later of the harness I made for reference purposes.

Enjoy!
very cool.
its obvious that approch is working for people.. but it makes me wonder... what is the resolution of the A->D converter for the LC1s output?
does anyone know?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird

Enjoy!
that looks pretty appealing, I'll probably try that this summer,... thanks. Right now I just have o2 sims occupying those plugs...

--on second thought, I don't have cats, so can I still do this? Will I just have to turn off the ses light? or maybe this won't work at all because I don't have cats???

Quick Reply: How to Log your wideband with HpTuners without a EIO