Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats better for begainers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats better for begainers?

i am looking to tune my own car, I would like to data log while i drive I will be running a pt76gts turbo and i was wondering...for a begainer what is easier to use for tuning for forced induction?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

i was doing a little research, for hp tuners to data log with a wideband i need to buy this pachage right? VCM Suite GM Pro - $649 (Enhanced I/O)
Old 05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markp03
i am looking to tune my own car, I would like to data log while i drive I will be running a pt76gts turbo and i was wondering...for a begainer what is easier to use for tuning for forced induction?
I would say I'm very happy with HP tuners, can support a 3 BAR MAP sensor, ideal for forced induction. I have used EFI live about 3 years ago, I only had the logging version of that. I can only speak for HP tuners as its the only one I tuned with. It does data logging.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

i was doing a little research, for hp tuners to data log with a wideband i need to buy this pachage right? VCM Suite GM Pro - $649 (Enhanced I/O)
I would recommentd wide band. An easy solution would be to buy the EIO, however I removed my EGR and I used that as a voltage input into the PCM which I use HP tuners to perform a formula on it to create an Air Fuel Ratio.

I got an AEM wideband guage, but I know many people are happy with the LC-1.

HP tuners are very helpful on thier support side of things, and have a forum where the creaters of the software answers your questions.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

i have the lc-1 so all i need to do is buy the package or 650 and I can use that in conjunction with my wideband?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

If the LC-1 outputs a voltage between 0 and 5V yes the EIO interface will certainly work for oyu.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

does hp tuners have bidirection controls like efi does? one other question whats the read/write time for efi and hp tuners?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

does hp tuners have bidirection controls like efi does? one other question whats the read/write time for efi and hp tuners?
yes, read time for both efilve & hptuners is ~2minutes, partial write for both is ~25-30 seconds.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

take a look at www.efilive.com

There is a learning curve associated with any tuning package, so you should look down the road to decide which suite will be best for you.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with TAQuickness. I personally would chose EFILive as it is a personal preference of mine. It is a little more expensive, but WELL worth it in the long run. With the new V2 interface that is about to be released, free updates, and EFILive specific custom operating systems (2bar), you will be set for life. I am runing a special on the current interface including a wideband for 950$. That is EVERYTHING you will need to tune the car minus the map sensor. You can get all the help you need over at www.efilive.com on how to start tuning the car from the ground up. We have had guys that have never used a EFI program tune twin turbo projects. Now I don't always recommend this, but it can be done. You may even download a free demo copy of the software to check out by clicking this link.

Just like TA stated, regardless of the program, there is a learning curve that you need to tackle. It will be intimidating at first, but don't worry, we all have been there. The guys over at EFILive will take good care of you and make your tuning experience a memoriable one.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

i have a inovatice wideband already...how much for the cable and software? and when you say map sensor are you talking about the sensor i nthe throttle body or is this something else i need to buy?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a inovatice wideband already...how much for the cable and software? and when you say map sensor are you talking about the sensor i nthe throttle body or is this something else i need to buy?
Sent you a PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Many feel that the HP Tuners user interface is very easy to follow for beginners.

Not only is HP Tuners less expensive, but we also offer you more vehicles to tune, more licenses with your order, and have a VERY active support forum.

You can see how many others also use HP Tuners as our community grows every day:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum

You can view our help files online here:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/

Compare the ease of use of our help files vs that of others and you will see our help file system is also very easy to navigate.

We also have some demo's to help guide you through the software here:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/getting_started_demos.htm

- Keith, HP Tuners