Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH Bank 1 (-4) Bank 2 (+22)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTH Bank 1 (-4) Bank 2 (+22)

Got my new motor setup (forged 347, MS4, Stage 2.5 LS6's) home, started for the dyno this morning and logging while driving, the car was showing some hesitation, then it just got worse. My Bank 2 sensor 1 LT's are now +22 and the car reeks of fuel, while bank 1 sensor 1 is at -4. Swapped plugs, now gonna swap both O2's and check for a massive leak, but can't hear anything

Any other suggestions? No knock, no misfires being detected, idling wideband reads 14.2, wide open air/fuel was 12.6, timing at idles is 23, timng at wide-open is 26.5. I just don't f'ing get it, stuck injectors maybe from bad fuel?

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 08-12-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

well if its just that bank, then it might be something on the exhaust side..header gasket, the o2 wires burnt the lean bank. btw, you've posted that bank one is +22 and -4..which one is it?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

nevermind..the thread title is correct..it was the description that was off. check bank 2s wires and that its connected correctly.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry about that

Well, so far I've swapped the O2 sensor, flushed the fuel out of the tank, replaced and gapped the passenger side plugs, and refitted the collector extension on the passenger header. Now I'm gonn drink a beer, then replace the plugs on the driver side. Then ohm all spark plug wires and goto bed
Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

good luck with it joey
Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Chased a simlar problem like this myself last summer with same issues you are having. Turned out to be the shop that swapped out the 02 sensors for me had them connected to the opposite banks they were trying to read. Lifted the car changed the o2 sensors to the opposite pipes they were in. Reset LTFT learns on the car through EFILive. Started car up.. no more issues and FT's were now within + or -4 from bank to bank.

Not sure if this is possibly what could be causing your issues.. But for the 30 minutes it takes to jack up car and swap them around.. might be worth looking at. Took me over a month of chasing my tail on this one to figure out something that was the fault of the shop that installed the new o2s to begin with. Prior to figuring this out, replaced plug wires, plugs, MAF, cleaned injectors, looked endlessly for intake or exhaust leaks, changed tune to try top compensate, nothing worked. One day after looking at scans, idea hit me of what in my mind the computer was trying to do and what would cause the LTFT discrepencies I was seeing. What haapens is car reads bank 1 or bank 2 as being lean/rich based off of the 02 readings then adds or pulls fuel.. but to the opposite bank it is reading.. hence the hesitation and wide difference between banks. This is what I came up with and I was good to go.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snake_charmer
Chased a simlar problem like this myself last summer with same issues you are having. Turned out to be the shop that swapped out the 02 sensors for me had them connected to the opposite banks they were trying to read. Lifted the car changed the o2 sensors to the opposite pipes they were in.
Thats what I thought also, but it ended up being a 2 part problem. 2 of my passenger side shields for the spark plugs had cut into the plug wires and were causing erratic mis-fires, along with an exhaust leak by the collector flange (although small). Replaced all the wires, cleared the LT and spent about 3 hrs beating on the the car data logging, and some cheerleader car wash cruising Cars LT's at idle now are (+2) bank 1, and (+7) bank 2 at idle. With some more highway and cruising time and some more tewaking of the lower range it'll work out.

Thanks for the replies