Sponsored by:

How much is timing worth???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much is timing worth???

I know a random question, but for instance.. and i did a search

let's say your timing is set at a certain point at 20*, but after some tuning runs, you've found that 25* is the best.. obviously at different RPM's it'll be different amounts of timing.

i'm just looking to see if there was rough estimate of how much hp that would cost like for when you look at compression. every pt = X amount of hp.

i know it's random, but would just be interesting to see the differences people have experienced
Old 08-15-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
I know a random question, but for instance.. and i did a search

let's say your timing is set at a certain point at 20*, but after some tuning runs, you've found that 25* is the best.. obviously at different RPM's it'll be different amounts of timing.

i'm just looking to see if there was rough estimate of how much hp that would cost like for when you look at compression. every pt = X amount of hp.

i know it's random, but would just be interesting to see the differences people have experienced

5* off from optimum might be worth 10 - 15 HP. Of course the closer you get to optimum the less gains youll see. Meaning that if 5* off we worth 15 HP, 2* off might only be worth 2 HP. Its not a linear scale. Also, the 15 HP number is pulled directly out of my ***. It varies depending on your mods may even be different from one car to another, even if the mods are identical. Some cars like 24*, some like 30*. Id chalk the variances up to the cam not being degreed from the factory.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found cars from 19 degree's to 30 degree's for the best power.Some cars might make the same power at 25 degree's compared to 30degree's,even without KR.You want to make the most power with the least amount of timing the engine needs.Meaning don't run 30degree's if the engine makes the same power at 26 degree's
Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, understand that much. just was weird going through my timing tables on HPT the other day. it was dyno tuned, so i'm assuming it was on, but it was also tuned knowing a 200 shot was going on, and i'm running it N/A now instead. oh well. thanks guys. had a slight hesitation down low right where the timing dips to 22*. it was right at launch it would happen, so it might explain some things.