Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I fried my wideband...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think I fried my wideband...

I have an LC-1 with a dynotune gauge wired into my car. Last week I was doing a plug change on my car. After finishing, I went to start the car and it ran like total crap. I revved it up a bit, then turned it off. Thinking that I probably forgot to hook something back up, I checked under the hood and noticed that I had forgotten to plug one of the coil pack harnesses back up. Plugged everything in, started the car, and it ran like a champ. Since that, however, my wideband has not worked properly. I'm guessing running the car on 4 cylinders really screwed the sensor up (it was SUPER rich since 4 cylinders were not burning the fuel).

Anyways, I have tried recalibrating and nothing. Did I fry the sensor? If so, where can I get a decently-priced replacement?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I've smoke a few NB's with mis-fires in the past. I think you can get replacement sensors for the LC-1 from a volkswagon dealer.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Take the sensor out and clean it up. Its probably just all dirty fom all the gas/carbon coming out of the exhaust. Rarely do exhaust sensors go bad from something like that, it most likely just needs to be cleaned up
Old 08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98BanditWS6
Take the sensor out and clean it up. Its probably just all dirty fom all the gas/carbon coming out of the exhaust. Rarely do exhaust sensors go bad from something like that, it most likely just needs to be cleaned up
I'll give that a shot before I buy a replacement. Any specific technique to cleaning a wideband O2 sensor?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

No solvents. use a clean shop rag.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

The sensor is readily available from the Volkswagon Dealer I picked up a spare while troubleshooting my LC-1 for I think $65. The part number is listed in the instruction set, that is downloadable from Innovate.