Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad maf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad maf?

I can't get the SES light off my dash. I've pulled the code and its for the maf sensor low. I've checked everything, cleaned the sensor and got it to turn off for about two days, then came on back while driving. The next morning it wouldn't even start and had to unplug the sensor. I had the stock sensor before and bought a granatelli and haven't seen any difference between the two. I've reset the pcm and does nothing, ses come on with key. Performance wise, it often cuts out around 4k and studders a bit. Why does it keep doing this? I just want it fixed!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I can't tell what's going on here. The light turned off on the way to the car wash and was fine until I turned it off and started it again. I had the codes pulled this time and 13 were shown. The first was the maf, then running too rich and all coils. Would a bad maf cause all these? Anything past half throttle it cuts out and stumbles really bad. This is all new within the past three days.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you repaced the maf sensor and it still does the same thing? You haven't recently cleaned or replaced your air filter have you? Excessive oil can build on a maf sensor and cause chaos, even if it the maf was cleaned if the filter was real oilly if may do the same thing again. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

I was having a small amount of oil on the sensor and did clean it but no effect. I then had a friend with another '98 let me swap sensor and still no effect. Even with the other sensor, it still stumbles really bad after half throttle. I think I've done everything I can but I'm probably going to have to take it to combo motorsports in vegas and have them see what's going on here.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Nevarez Racing. 8:00am friday mornin dyno runs and tuning possible. Just sucks I live 3 hours away but it's the closest place I've got. I'll update as soon as I get her back.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the MAF fuse ? It is the "engine sensor" fues under the hood on the driver side .