Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0103 code MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0103 code MAF

Yesterday I was driving my car and I came across an older crotch rocket that wanted a run, he took off and got out in front of me a bit and I slowly pulled back up on him when suddenly I lost a ton of power and the engine sounded like it had blown up or something. I still had good oil pressure, temp was not high... Needless to say I pulled over and shut it down, about to **** my pants all the while. I looked around in the engin e bay, no holes in the block, no oil under the car. ???? I started the engine back up and it sounded completely normal again. Took it to AutoZone and had them code scan it. It had a P0103 code.

I came home and swapped to a different MAF. No change. I unplugged the MAF altogether. No change.

I have not blown any fuses. The engine runs totally normal right up till it hits 4,500 RPM. At this point it feels like it goes into limp mode. No power, running rough, threatens to die at idle. Now if you turn the key off and start it back up, its gone. Every time... it doesnt make any sense to me??

I came and tried to search for this problem on here yesterday but couldnt because the search function was down. I looked again tonight and the only times I have seen the P0103 come up is with FI of some kind. I am NA... no n2o or anything.

This is a '98 LS1/T56 with less than 50,000 miles that has been transplanted into an RX-7. It has ported '02 exhaust manifolds, ported throttle body, descreened MAF and a Jesse Bubb tuned PCM. Otherwise it is stock. The car has thousands of miles on it since the swap and it has been running excellent.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
theantirotor
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

P0103 means the MAF is failing on the high limits set in the PCM
Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

yeah but that just doesnt make much sense because this is an NA LS1... I must be missing something?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

no ideas?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you just go into SD mode and the VE isn't tuned past 4500rpm, which is very common among mail order tunes. you can either try to fix the maf, or just stay in SD but then you'd need to tune it. I've never seen a MAF fail, it's a very simple device, so I'd just check all the cabling, grounds, and all the other usual electric gremlins.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, yeah I tried a different MAF so the MAF itself must not be the problem. I guess I will trace my way back through the wires and see if I can catch anything.

This pretty much just reinforces the idea that I need to get some tuning software.

Quick Reply: P0103 code MAF