Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Richer Or Poorer!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Richer Or Poorer!!

with the access of the bin repository and the need of been curious (not george ) Ive realized that there are two schools of thought: tuning very rich with VERY agresive ignition timing, and (for me the most "correct") stoich ration of 14.7-15, even 15.17 and moderate (almost stock) ign timing.

WHATS YOUR OPINION?
this is for dyno tuners, and street "driveability" tuners!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

I'm assuming you're talking about part throttle. Personally, I like to run an open-loop tune if I can monitor it with a wideband. I have had both open and closed-loop tunes in my '02. Granted, it's stock internals. But, the open loop tune I had I liked a little better because there was no "PE lurch" when it kicks in during more agressive part throttle driving. Fueling became progressively richer as manifold vacuum dropped (MAP increased). It felt a little smoother...a little more responsive....and I could run a little more timing. I still got roughly the same mileage since the light loads were still set at a 14.7:1 AFR. With the car back up for sale, I restored a closed loop tune and I'd like to think I can feel a difference. But, it may just be in my head.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

define VERY rich. cuz its stupid NA to run lower than 12.4

part throttle run 14.7 - 15.2
WOT pe mode run low rpm 12.5-12.6 then scale up to 12.9 or 13.2 at high rpms
dial in VE table and MAF table
if its a non-ls6 style or 00 and older car run around 27-28 degrees timing WOT up top with the fuel listed above

if its a ls6 or 01 or newer run 25-26 degrees timing WOT up top with the fuel listed above.
*each car is different and I have had differences between tuning cars. some liked less timing, some liked more fuel, some liked less. etc etc.

get on a dyno and get WOT down with the most power, might want to log a street WOT run and see about how the car is running, if its a little rough, then decrease timing a tad, also adjust for other changes.
part throttle just get it at 14.6-15.2... play with timing