Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Worth The $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Worth The $$$?

I'm trying to decide if I should have my car tuned just for the sake of gaining some HP. I'm not really doing any modifications that will require a tune but I've heard of people getting a tune to gain power on LS1's as well as other applications. I am doing quite a few little modifications and will have the money for a tune but I don't plan on doing headers or a stall yet so maybe I oughta just wait until I do... here's what I'm doing while the car is stored over winter.

SLP Lid, FTRA Intake, Electric Cut-Out, SFC's, LCA's and Panhard, couple other things like brakes/rotors etc. Also getting new rims and tires and a couple other appearance modifications as well as an alarm and some stereo stuff. But I don't really see where those little mods are gonna be benefited much from a tune so figured I would ask if anyone thinks I will gain enough to justify the 200 dollar or so mail-order tune?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh maybe a mail order tune at this stage but I wouldnt spend anymore then a couple hundred tops for the mods you have...another option to look at is a full tuning suite such as hptuners or efilive...both are reasonably priced & you'll never need to go to someone for a tune.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Launching!

at least wait until headers, what you have listed isnt enough to recquire a tune and even if you were to see gains they wouldnt be worth the money. After headers (longtubes i hope) find a place that will dyno tune it as opposed to buying some cookie cutter plug in programmer - they cost the same but a dyno tune will be specific to your car and you know exactly how much HP you bought. Ive heard of guys getting an extra 18-20 hp off a dyno tune with cold air and headers!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, I definitly plan on getting some Pacesetter Coated LT's but I'm gonna wait a while because I'm going to school in Texas and am going to be a broke college kid for a year so I'm trying to save some money up and headers aren't really in the budget espically considering the negative gas mileage.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

there should be little or no noticeable gas mileage change due to headers.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
there should be little or no noticeable gas mileage change due to headers.
There will be without a tune

But there should be no change once the air/fuel is fixed. If anything it should be better actually.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
There will be without a tune

But there should be no change once the air/fuel is fixed. If anything it should be better actually.
it should be a negligible difference...as long as the o2 sensors function properly & the maf is in tact it will always get you to at or near 14.7:1 with or without headers...its not like adding headers majically dumps in more fuel.

Some people loose a little low end tq with headers which is what I would attribute any loss in mpg to in that you'd need to use more throttle to get the same accelleration.

If you know something I don't feel free to point it out though, but as far as I know my mpg stayed teh same for the 4 months I had headers & no tuning on my Z...the only thing it does is set the rear o2 sensor codes.