Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obdii

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obdii

I am not too familiar with this test. What does it take to pass it? Do you need cats, or can you just delete the codes from a tune? Also, what codes would these be?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,100 Posts

We have the OBD scan only test for '96+ cars here in IL. You don't need cats to pass, actually you don't need any emissions stuff at all. Just proper tuning. That is assuming you don't have a visual inspection. Here they don't look at anything; just give us the gas cap test and the OBD scan, 30 seconds later you're on the way home with a passing grade.

The object is, not to delete the codes, but to turn off the MIL for each code you want to ditch. If you kill the code altogether, then the test won't run and the test center will reject you for the test based on a "not ready/incomplete" status.

Go to a good tuner and you'll be fine.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Assuming your state does OBD2 test only (no sniffer or visual) just delete the codes and you will pass. I had to do this just last week for my formula and i learned a few things. Check your car with a scanner. If there is a code, kill it.

What will then happen is your car's emissions system will go into a "not ready" status, which means you can't be tested. There are like 9 monitors in emissions systems of these cars, 1 for PCV, 1 for 02 sensors, 1 for catalytic convertors, etc. When you delete a code, these monitors will need to reset themselves. Driving normally for a couple weeks after you clear the code, with a combination of highway and city driving, will reset the monitors.

Check your car with the scanner again the day of the test, as long as you have zero incomplete monitors and no codes you are ok. So for me, the midget testing my car told me i passed the test and 2 minutes later I was on my way. Nice!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

...and I'm pretty sure this thread sould be in the PCM Diagnostics & Tuning section...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tacklebox
...and I'm pretty sure this thread sould be in the PCM Diagnostics & Tuning section...
That is where it is headed...