Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo acting up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Speedo acting up?

My 99 firechicken has developed a problem. The speedo is will stop workiing and/or bounce while driving. It will last for 30-40 seconds then drop to 0 mph and stay there, the all off the sudden read properly. If this condition persists for longer than a few minutes the motor starts to develop misfires which can be audibly hear in the exhaust, then as the problem continues it feels as though the motor cuts out completely. When I come to a stop the idle hangs up around 1200 rpm then slowly drifts down to 700-800 rpm (normal idle speed). I checked the TB for mechanical binding and there is no problem so the idle speed issue is a function of the other things going on.

I have searched the board and the only this I found was the cluster/odometer reset condition which I experience every morning and after reading up on that condition, I think that is simply a function of the lightweight battery I run. But could this condition be related to the speedo cutting out while driving? All other gauges operate normally, tach is fine, lights are fine (no dimming).

Is there a speedo sensor on the tranny? The motor/tranny was out last winter for rocker arm failure, so I am going to check the wiring harness along the tranny maybe something is rubbing and going to ground or interuppting the signal?

This condition occured over the span of 30 miles and I parked it until I can figure out what's causing the problem. The car starts and idles fine in driveway, but take it out for a ride and the symptoms pop up and go down hill.

Sorry for being a little long winded. Any input or things to check would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a speed sensor in the tranny. The idle is probly hanging because the pcm doesnt know if the car is moving or not. My M6 will let the idle slowly if I step on the clutch while driving and coast, But it will drop immediatly if am not moving .
Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my speedo is doing the exact same thing. pretty sure its the speed sensor in the tranny. im going to be pulling it out this weekend hopefully. its really getting annoying