PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can tuning keep exhaust from popping on cold starts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can tuning keep exhaust from popping on cold starts?

I've got some neighbors that don't think my car is too loud but when I start it up cold in the morning, it pops really loud like a gunshot or somethin and they don't seem to be too happy about it! Is there any way to prevent this or do i just need to find a way to quiet down my exhaust?
thanks
-Chris
Old 12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u don't have any cats, put some cats on, it will help with the popping and also quiet down ur exaust a bit.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

I personally wish mine would sound like that all the time. maybe not to the point it sounds like its backfiring but its sounds old school. The sound comes from the change in pressure. When the exhaust gets hot, it flows better and does not have the massive changes in pressure.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Are you talking about the initial fire up only? If so, you might be able to reduce the initial fuel prime so it doesn't dump as much fuel into the cylinders for startup.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Are you talking about the initial fire up only? If so, you might be able to reduce the initial fuel prime so it doesn't dump as much fuel into the cylinders for startup.
yeah, that's the kind of response i was hoping for. I do have cats on right now but it only takes about 20-30 minutes to remove them with the FLPs
Old 12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm planning on taking it to HPE for a retune & hopefully they can do this. I've always hated the way MTI tuned it. My car's an auto with a big converter but it takes a while to find idle and I have to two foot it or it will surge and die so basically no one else can drive it. I went back and told MTI and they charged me $80 for a retune and it still does the same crap. They don't seem to care about their lower spending customers at all. Or maybe it's cuz i'm young or something, but I'm definitely turned off of them for life. HPE took the time to show me around the shop first time I went.

LOL, sorry for the rant there!
-Chris