PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No 99 camaro check engine light unless Actron scanner is plugged in ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 99 camaro check engine light unless Actron scanner is plugged in ??

I have no check engine light when I turn on the key, but, if I have a acrton scanner plugged in, the check engine light works just fine with the key on. Anyone have an idea where I need to look to fix it? I tried searching but I keep getting blank white screens, lol.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one??? hmmm.... is there two wire that split off the light? One to the computer and one to the ADL thingy connector? This is what I am thinking, then, when the scanner is hooked, it makes a complete circuit to the LED light?????
Old 12-22-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what the problem is. Are you concerned the SES won't illuminate if there's a problem? Pull a fuse for something non-essential and see if it comes on - if you still have the AIR system, pull the AIR PUMP fuse under the hood, should throw the light after a couple cold starts.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I am assuming, and could be wrong that with key on/engine off , the MIL/SES light should come on but it does not. If I hook up the Actron scanner, the light comes on. I just thought it was very odd. Being a 99 and not like the 98's, computer wise, I dont know if this is normal.

It is a new'er car to me and I want to make sure everything is working correctly. I think that will be my next test, thanks for the responce.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is odd, the SES should light up with the key in the RUN position. Don't know if this'll help but it explains the pins on the DLC. www.obdii.com/connector.html
Old 12-22-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, I was looking for that to get an idea. I have 98 manuals from my car and they have no complete diagram of the ALDL? conector and MIL light together. Hell, as far as the ALDL conector diagram is concerned, it only shows 4 or 5 connections, so, that is not showing the whole ALDL socket circuit. The MIL circuit just shows the MIL light connected stright to the PCM/MIL pin on the PCM. There is no other connection in the circuit that branches off. IF the 99 is like the 98, then, why is the light off with the key on? Also, why is the light ON when the scanner is plugged in, lol?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, newest update for the 38 readers, so far, as to whats up. I moshed on down to my Advancedauto store and grabbed thier scanner. Like before, no check engine light came on until I plugged in the scanner. I went through all the clearing modes (even though it said no codes set) and cleared everything. Tirned off the ignition, unplugged the unit, turned the key on and on came the MIL light. started her up and she went out like she was supposed to. Did this three times and then the lgiht stayed off. I tried taking out the key and putting it back in but it still stayed out. I took out the key and opened the door, closed it, put the key back in and turned it to the on position and it came on again. I tried it again and the light did NOT come on. I then pulled the air pump fuse and started the car. I raised the idle to 2k and the light came on. I cleared the codes and repeated the other tests and they came up the same again!? Not sure what the hell is going on. Guess I have new gremlins to deal with on this 99? All I know is that on the way home, while driving, the engine light popped on??? Now, why was it not on for the last 20 miles? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggg !!!!!!!!!