Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranmission Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranmission Tuning Questions

I am totally new to tuning so please bare with me...

I have 2 Trans Ams, a 98 and a 99. Both are A4 cars with 2:73 rears. The 98 was programmed with EFILive and shifts very firm, almost to firm. So far however, I have not been able to get the 99 to shift the same way. I have turned the torque reduction off and I have copied the base pressures, low/high pressure adjustments, desired shift times and shift at rpm tables from the 98 to the 99. It seems to have made things a little better, but they are still far off from each other.

The 98 is fairly stock with just a lid, air filter and the trans mission tuning. The 99 has an ls6 intake, long tubes, catback, and a lid now, but I have been dealing with this shifting issue even before these mods.

Any ideas of where else I need to look? Would it help me to try and find a BIN from another tuned A4 to compare to?

I appreciate any input...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the 98 throwing any codes? If the MAF has "failed", it will revert to max line pressure. Check the bin file for the MAF Fail Frequency, it should be set about 11500-12000. Another thing is, do you know if the 98 car has a shift kit? This would explain the higher pressures and firmer shifts. I would say yes, it will help to comapre the file to a factory stock bin from a 1998. If you want, send me the file and I will look it over, versus a stock 1998 setup.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Is the 98 throwing any codes? If the MAF has "failed", it will revert to max line pressure. Check the bin file for the MAF Fail Frequency, it should be set about 11500-12000. Another thing is, do you know if the 98 car has a shift kit? This would explain the higher pressures and firmer shifts. I would say yes, it will help to comapre the file to a factory stock bin from a 1998. If you want, send me the file and I will look it over, versus a stock 1998 setup.
No codes on the 98. The MAF High Freq Fail 1 is 11250.0 and the MAF High Freq Fail 2 is 11000.0. I compared this to the 99 and it is much different. The MAF High Freq Fail 1 and the MAF High Freq Fail 2 are both set to 14000.0.

I did not put a shift kit in the 98 and the car did not appear to be mod'd when I bought it, but it would be possible that the trans may have been replaced at one time.

I appreciate the help. I will grab a copy of my 98 and 99 bins and shoot them over to you. Hopefully its something easy/stupid. lol