PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Using the LS1 Timing Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Using the LS1 Timing Tuner?

I installed an LS1 Timing Tuner on my car so I could adjust timing for nitrous and be able to set it back to normal when I wasnt sprayin it. A good friend of mine works at a GM dealership as a tech and we hooked it up to there computer to make sure the Tuner was working. The computer at the dealership showed no change in the timing on any setting I tried it on. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if the change would show up on the dealerships computer. Any comments would be helpful.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jwatson
I installed an LS1 Timing Tuner on my car so I could adjust timing for nitrous and be able to set it back to normal when I wasnt sprayin it. A good friend of mine works at a GM dealership as a tech and we hooked it up to there computer to make sure the Tuner was working. The computer at the dealership showed no change in the timing on any setting I tried it on. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if the change would show up on the dealerships computer. Any comments would be helpful.
Scanner shouldn't pick it up. Not 100% sure how the LS1 timing tuner works but my guess is it biases the cam signal to the pcm. The pcm still thinks its running stock timing but because of the bias to the cam signal its really running advanced or retarded. To truly tell youl'l have to paint the crank at TDC cylinder #1 , hook a timing light up to the #1 spark plug, look at the crank through the timing light and paint a mark on the block where the light appears to be. then adjust the timing and look again to see if the crank mark moved in relation to the block mark. White out works best for painting as with most timing lights it flouresces under the timing light.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Scanner shouldn't pick it up. Not 100% sure how the LS1 timing tuner works but my guess is it biases the cam signal to the pcm. The pcm still thinks its running stock timing but because of the bias to the cam signal its really running advanced or retarded. To truly tell youl'l have to paint the crank at TDC cylinder #1 , hook a timing light up to the #1 spark plug, look at the crank through the timing light and paint a mark on the block where the light appears to be. then adjust the timing and look again to see if the crank mark moved in relation to the block mark. White out works best for painting as with most timing lights it flouresces under the timing light.

Thanks man I will definately try that.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

when i hooked mine up my scanmaster didn't pick it up either so i just had the fuel line unhooked and the nitrous bottle closed and set it to retard like 6 * and hit the micro switch with the motor revved and you can tell if it is working because the motor will slightly bog/slow down.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:36 AM

No, a scanner will not pick it up. That is normal.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jwatson
Thanks man I will definately try that.
I hope my description is close enough, its hard to describe. If you have any friends that are good mechanics they should understand the concept well enough to help you do it.