Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 or LS1 computer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 or LS1 computer?

I'm dropping and LS2 into a V6 firebird. I need to work out of the details of the wiring harness and computer I'll be using. If I use a cable driven TB should I use and LS2 computer or LS1?

A cable driven TB will need control over IAC and TPS. Can the LS2 computer handle this?

Is it easier to use an LS1 computer and change the reluctor wheel on the crank?

What are other differences to be aware of?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since editing packages are out for the LS2 I would use its controller. From a hot rodding point of view it probably doesn't matter much. However, I have friends in GM and they say the F body's controller is archiac and antiqued and you can tune the LS2 PCM anyways.

Surely, you could tune drive by wire out??? The only thing is all the LS2 cars I have seen have it. :-S
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Since editing packages are out for the LS2 I would use its controller. From a hot rodding point of view it probably doesn't matter much. However, I have friends in GM and they say the F body's controller is archiac and antiqued and you can tune the LS2 PCM anyways.

Surely, you could tune drive by wire out??? The only thing is all the LS2 cars I have seen have it. :-S
I hear what you're saying. I'm just not sure if you can tune out the drive by wire or if you can tune in the IAC and TPS that cable driven TB's need.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

You will not be able to use the IAC motor, you will need to stay with a DBW throttle body. If you are dead set on a cable throttle body, then use the LS1 ECM. Since both the cable throttle body and the LS1 ECM are "archiac and antiqued".
Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

He does programming for GM as in production programming.

Hey, a computer running Windows 98 is great for tuning but it is antique. I said it was old, not unusable.

Plenty of people still run TPI motors....It isn't the latest and greatest, though.

The new Bosch computers GM will put on their cars soon will kick most hot rodders in the *****. Try and mod the next gen of PCMs and find out what happens if you don't choose a stand alone controller.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a challenge.

The aftermarket loves a challenge There will be tuning software for whatever gm pcm is used.

Ryan