PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could duals have really screwed up my tune this much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could duals have really screwed up my tune this much?

Just a couple weeks ago I got duals put on my car. Now I'm wondering if it could really have screwed up my tune as it seems. I had an ORY and Hooker catback before the duals, so I wouldn't think it would have been a whole lot different, except for a couple things I have noticed now. BTW, this is still the stock tune.

First, there is a sign on my road that every once in a while I accelerate to. It is what I used to measure my mods to see what they did for me. I got up to about 105mph all the time at the sign, and now after my duals I only get about 95 every time. I can't really explain it either because I can come around the corner at 45 and still only make it to 95.

The other thing is... The other day after my car club had a car show I accelerated away from the parking lot after the show with a motorcyle following me so they could hear the new duals. I went up to maybe 45mph through first gear, and afterwards the motorcycle came flying up behind me and honked a couple times. So I waited at the next stop sign for him. He pulled up next to me and I rolled down the window and he yelled to me "Hey, you might want to check your computer. You just dumped about a half a gallon of gas on me back there when you accelerated."

So now those two things together make me wonder something. Could the duals have thrown off the stock tune by that much? It sounds maybe like it's running really rich, enough to make it lose a decent amount of power even. Is that possible?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Get a tune. The check eng light from the emissions deletions has got to get old at least and could "hide" something else at worst that could be detrimental down the road. I am just putting the sig and your declaration of a "stock tune" in my mind.

Why not get an A/F tune? These Fbodies come "fat" from the factory. Your A4 could stand some tranny adjustments and timing also.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

I actually have a tune coming on Monday . I was just wondering this before i go though.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

yes it is possible to run slower with the new duals when not tuned. You seem to be running really rich which is making the car run like that.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

Stock tune is already alittle rich. True duals likely threw you into even more rich. Yeah, get it tuned. You should pick up a NICE chunk with a dyno tune..
Old 04-29-2007, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

How about with a street tune? I'm going to chad with Green Light Motorsports who does street tunes. Another guy who is in my car club said chad had tuned it within 5hp of what speed inc. did after that on their dyno. What do you guys think about street tunes?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned

A nice, safe, street tune will probably be a good idea. You'll still get more hp than a stock tune.

Getting that last little bit of hp out of a tune can have some undesirable drawbacks if you plan to do alot of street driving...