Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning timing table in OLSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tuning timing table in OLSD

i've always noticed that the timing table is based on rpm and cylinder air mass (i think thats what its called)

well the cylinder air mass (ill call it CAM) is related to the MAF...

with out the MAF i cant scan (or i dont know how) and i cant tell what cell im in because of that...

what are you olsd guys doing to dial in your timing table and how do you know what cell your using?

i'd like to have the timing table on a sheet thats rpm vs. map just like the VE

thanks,

Tyler
Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

I EFI Live, we have two different pids to log air mass.

GM.CYLAIR_DMA and GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA

The DMA stands for direct memory access. It means, it pulls the current value straight from the current conditions observed by the PCM instead of some table. The first is for when the MAF is connected and the second is for Speed Density.

However, don't confuse air mass with air flow. They're two different things. The MAF reports airflow (grams/second) where as air mass is reported in grams/cylinder.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM
7 Second Club

thanks!....

i also just talked to a friend and realized that since i have no MAF the car goes back and reads the "minimum spark advance" table

it reads this above 4000rpms.... its in the parameters section under the airflow... its like the 3rd box down...

i looked at this table and its 15* across the board... which means im way low on timing.... this could be worth several ponies!

thanks again speed demon... you've always helped me out.

Last edited by ty_ty13; 05-10-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
7 Second Club

so if i replace the cylair with dyncylair in all my maps i can still scan and see exactically what my timing is doing?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
so if i replace the cylair with dyncylair in all my maps i can still scan and see exactically what my timing is doing?
Yup. Pick the GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA pid (under Tune on the drop down menu) and swap it into your timing MAPs (spark advance and knock retard). Then, you should be good to go.

As for the above 4,000 rpms statement, that refers to the MAF when it's active. Under 4,000 rpms (or whatever is set in that cell), the PCM uses a filtered combination of SD and MAF calculated fueling. Above 4,000 rpms, it runs solely off the MAF (or so the description says - personally I'm not so sure). Unless you have a custom OS, you'll always run off of the low octane timing table in speed density. When the MAF fails, the PCM essentailly defaults the octane scaler to low octane timing table.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, two different pids for two different entities.

in HPT i think you get just 'dynamic cylinder air' and it will get calculated no matter if it's calculated from MAF or SD calcs