Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need my ses light back on

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need my ses light back on

About a week back my SES light came on so I took it to my friend,s dad who works at a ford dealership and he had one of the guys there run a scan on it, and he said that the cat eficency in both cats is below normal and they should be replaced.So i made an apointment with my pontiac dealer and ready to go but before i did i wanted to use my hypertech tuner to put the tuning back to stock, but when i did i acidentaly cleared the codes. So when I went to the daler they said they cant do any thing if there is no code. I read if you drive your car through a Diagnostic cycle it will come back on, but that could take up to 10 cold and warm starts. I want to get the cats replaced soon is there any way to get the SES light on sooner?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think the dealer could tell if they're bad just by scanning the car? Guess a few drive cycles wouldn't hurt - www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html Look up when the MIL comes on for P0420 and P0430 for your year at gearchatter.com, thinking they might come on as soon as it sees a failure. You did the right thing by returning the tune to stock before letting a dealer connect.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I'd think the dealer could tell if they're bad just by scanning the car? Guess a few drive cycles wouldn't hurt - www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html Look up when the MIL comes on for P0420 and P0430 for your year at gearchatter.com, thinking they might come on as soon as it sees a failure. You did the right thing by returning the tune to stock before letting a dealer connect.
As far as i know the cats are bad, i just need the code to come back up so the dealer will fix it, can i disconnect one of the O2s and get the same code?and why do you have to return it to stock when you take it to the dealer?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnecting the 02s isn't going to get the same code(s) back. They still may be stored in history, but don't know if HPP3 resets all the codes when changing tunes back and forth. Reason you want to return the car to stock before visiting the dealer is they may upgrade/change the PCM programming. I'd just put some miles on it and wait for the codes to come back.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help
Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Or just relax and dont worry about it..

Does the car actually show any signs of a bad cat? A bunch of things can set that code, and it doesnt hafta be the cat.

I cant tell you how many times ive reset the computer in cars and the light never came back on.

Just dont dive into a cat replacement if you dont need to.

joe
Old 05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRA Trans Am
I want to get the cats replaced soon is there any way to get the SES light on sooner....?
Had a similar situation a few years ago with my wife's LS1. Dealer wouldn't touch it without an SES light prevalent, and I accidentally cleared the codes by disconnecting the battery before-hand. However, knowing that the original code was in fact stored in the PCM (despite the SES light being off), I disconnected the O2 sensor harness, waited for Closed Loop, SES light was triggered, then off to the dealer I went. When they scanned for codes they found the original one, along with the disconnected O2. My comment to them as they looked at me in suspicion was, "hmm, I wonder how that could have happened"....
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

just cut the cats off.