Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1415 or P1416 Trouble codes - my fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1415 or P1416 Trouble codes - my fix

My check engine light went on about a month ago and when I scanned it with my Car Chip, it came back p1415. This is the code for the drivers side engine bank and p1416 is for the passenger side. Turns out this is a very common code that results from the air check valve sticking on one of the banks on the engine. I didn't even know what an air check valve was, but if you look at the top of your motor, on each bank you have these things that look almost like fuel filters. They're threaded on the side going to your exhaust and have a rubber hose with a clamp on the side coming from your air pump.
I unclamped the hose and then unscrewed the valve from the emissions tubing. This actually required quite a bit of force to break it free even with some wd-40. Once I removed it, I tried to blow through the side that had the hose on it and I couldn't. I took a can of carb and choke cleaner, sprayed it inside then put my thumb over the opening and shook the hell out of it. When I dumped the fluid out of the valve it was coming out pure black. I had to repeat this 6 or 7 times and on the last time I sprayed into the valve, instead of dumping the fluid out, I blew it threw the valve. After that, I could blow through the valve with very little resistance. I reinstalled the valve, cleared the code, and have been running code free for almost 700 miles.
Hope this helps someone out there.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or just replace the offending check valve. How did you get so many posts? LOL
Old 05-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Or just replace the offending check valve. How did you get so many posts? LOL
I'm a posting ***** with no life, who lives in his mothers basement. Actually, I think it was a blip when my account got activated.

As for the valve, I'm just a cheap bastard. lol
Old 05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

So you cleared the code and it didn't come back, but did you check to see that your egr monitors are ready? I cleared the code, and have driven about 200 miles since clearing, and still no code. I still have 4 monitors incomplete, and I'm sure once they complete, the code will come back. Got to replace that valve.

Quick Reply: P1415 or P1416 Trouble codes - my fix