Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing cells to tune on n2o

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing cells to tune on n2o

i was wondering what timing cells to mess with? i was told to change from .68 g/cyl from about 3200 rpm and up, but when i have logged it does not go that high on the table? will it be diffrent at the track with slicks, compared to the street?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you do is map out your run without nitrous first, then it shows you the curve.

Usually what i do is just run EFILives custom os 5 and just have the computer pull timing for me when the nitrous is active. That way it is always exact.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you using a wet kit or a dry kit.

If you are using a dry kit then the referenced g/cyl *should* go up when you spray.

However, just to be safe your best bet is to decrease the timing at the reference g/cyl and above that you see during logging.

On a side note your WOT airflow should be at least 0.60 g/cyl. If not you may want to pull out your MAF and clean it and relog.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the help guys went to go log and this time it is going into those cells maf cleaning worked, it had oil from k&n.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

The timing value that your PCM selects from the high-octane timing table is based mainly on the calculated load (measured in Gms/Cyl) that is being placed on your engine at any given time and RPM. For example, if you are at 4000 RPM and the PCM is calculating 0.56 Gms/Cyl of load, it reads the portion of the table that corresponds with those figures and selects that timing figure. Now remember, I said that it is "mainly" based on load and RPM, but there other factors involved such as intake air temp and coolant temp that may pull a few more degrees away from the base value in the table, depending on conditions. Alright.....because the load being calculated is based on the amount of air that the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is detecting (measured in Gm/Sec), a dry N2O shot will cause a higher load to be measured and calculated, and cause the PCM to access a different section of the timing table; a part that is NOT used during NA operation. Because of this, you can modify the part of the table that is used when you spray and leave the portion of the table that is used during NA operation unaffected. That is why this method won't work for a wet kit; because the N2O isn't being measured by the MAF with at wet kit, so no additional load is calculated for the nitrous and timing is based on the amount of air that the MAF sees. The first step is to determine the highest amount of load that your PCM calculates under NA conditions. This needs to be done so that you only modify the values in the timing table that are "above" the point that is accessed during NA ops. This will allow your timing to remain unchanged when you aren't spraying.
To determine this, you need to do some wide open throttle (WOT) logging with your scan tool. Now that you know your maximum NA load value, it is very easy to determine the "highest" point of the timing table that you use NA. Now, simply change the timing values in all of the cells above (physically below on the table) that point. These are the values that will be accessed when you spray. It is advisable to leave yourself a gap between your uppermost NA access point and your lower most N2) access point. That way you will be SURE to never access the retarded portion of the table while running NA. Once you have modded your timing table, upload you new tuning, fill your bottle and head back to the track. Do some more logging and you should be pleasantly surprise. Your timing will remain normal during NA runs and will jump right back when you spray.