Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LS1 & E85

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The LS1 & E85

I posted this in the advanced tech section earlier, and someone suggested trying here as well...I'll apologize up front for a long question...I'm pretty new to the LS1 scene. I've got a '99 Camaro SS. I've ported the heads and decked them .030...installed a bigger cam...long tube headers...3" exhaust...etc. I sent my PCM away to Fastchip to have it optimized for the mechanical changes I made. It runs great, but now I'd like to convert the car to run on E85.

I've read some of the previous threads on this topic, and they've been really informative (especially an old post by Runn...lots of great info). I have some concerns, though.
I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to PCM programming (That's why I sent mine away the first time). Can a bonehead like me make the necessary changes without screwing something up?

One last thing...I've seen a few "plug-in" type E85 converters on the market (like Flex Tek). Does anyone have any experience with any of these. I haven't been able to get much info out of the folks who market these systems, but I'm assuming that they just intercept the signal to fuel injectors and force them to stay open a little longer. Seems like a good way to fry your injectors in a hurry...anyone know anything about these?

Any additional information would be appreciated

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me the cost savings (well there are none here... E85 needs to be 70% the cost of gasoline before it's cost effective) aren't worth potential damage (unless you're looking for the high octane for a boosted car or high compression car)... (Runn is in sweden where I believe the price difference between E85 and gasoline is pretty significant so it's cost effective)

stock injectors (especially w/your 99, only 26lb/hr) really aren't enough to run E85... you need to run bigger injectors since you need to add more fuel to make the same power

I definetly would not attempt the "conversion" w/out having tuning software though...
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the "kits" that plug into the injectors are hack jobs at best. avoid them like the plague. get a full on tuning package and do it that way.

I just converted my 04 GTO to E85 this last week...it runs pretty much like normal. Still working out some cold start issues, and tweaking the timing and WOT settings. it definitely feels stronger in the mid range, but I haven't run it on the dyno yet.

you will need appx 30% more fuel capacity, injectors, pump, etc.