Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to hptuners problem and already tried search

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new to hptuners problem and already tried search

Hey i'm having a problem with my laptop with hptuners trying to connect to the vcm scanner. I bought the car and the previous owner of the car gave me everything he had which was a serial port wire and a serial to usb adapter. On the adapter card there is a green light on when the usb is in the laptop and a orange light sparaticly going on and off.

When i go to the vcm scanner and hit connect it shows that it is connected and the cars voltage in the bottom of the screen but it never changes (unless i hit disconnect and hit connect again) and on the guage window the gauges are all on zero on the computer screen. I used this 2 weeks ago and it worked perfectly and I was able to log activity.

Some days the car runs well and here recently it has been running very sparatic and the car likes to die. The voltage on the battery is between 11.5 volts and 12 with the engine off, and when i can get the motor to run consistantly the voltage is between 13 and 14.4. So I don't know if i'm having a battery problem causing all this.

I know i wrote a book but this is very aggrivating and i'm to new to this to know what the problem would be. Thanks for any advise!

- Paul
Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Your voltage is normal, I don't think thats the issue.
Your issue may be the USB to serial adapter. Its a fairly common occurrence.
When you go into the scanner and hit connect what happens?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

I put a new battery in it last night just for ***** and giggles and the car starts and runs a lot better but i haven't tried to set the laptop on it yet.

When I hit connect in the bottom left of the screen it would say a few different things like it did when it connected before and then it acted like it was already connected but the voltage in the bottom of the screen would not change unless i hit disconnect and then connect again. I tried the vcm editor and changed a couple speedo things and it seemed to go thru just fine in that program.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

You are aware that you have to close one of the programs before using the other right? The scanner and the editor cannot access the HP Tuners module at the same time.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

ya i first tried to just pull the scanner up first. I'll try tonight to see if it works now with the new battery and make an update, but i don't know why having a new battery should do anything. It probably didn't help how aggrivated I was at it after an hour of messing around trying to get it to pull up.