Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low voltage warning b4 edit

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low voltage warning b4 edit

Anybody know what the low voltage warning means? It pops up on the LS1 edit screen saying low voltage, and wont read or allow you to reprogram. It gives a threshold of voltage and mine is in that threshold for not enough volts.

Is it okay to hook a battery charger or something to the battery to keep my volts up while doing edit?

Old 06-28-2003, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Low voltage warning b4 edit

Buy a new battery. That's the best option.

There are guys who have hooked up chargers and programmed the PCM (myself included, in the past). But that's not recommended. Especially if the battery is taking a charge - the charger will be fluctuating the voltage supply. You could end up with a partially programmed PCM. I don't recommend it. You'd be better off - getting a fresh battery. $60 now can save you a lot of hassle later.

-Andrew
Old 06-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I think my battery is good it shows green. A guy said it was okay to run jumper cables from another car to mine (as long as the other car was off), then I can program the pcm. Do you think thats a good idea or safe?
Old 06-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Get an extra battery and jumper it in to program, or use another car. Just make sure it's not running either. Personally I'd get a cheapo battery from wall*mart and jumper it then charge it and keep it around for the next session.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Do you mean the "Green" Hydrometer Eye on the battery itself? If so that eye is only indicating one of the cells-you could have some growth between the other plates/cells. I see you are in texas, how old is the battery? I am in hot florida and have found that for the most part if you can get two years out of any sealed battery, every day after is a "Freebie." The things boil over and you can't refill em'. Now replacing the positive battery lead(3in1-starter,acc term post, alt) because of trying to milk out extra months on a battery that is over 2 years old and has boiled over leaving the tell tale signs of crust on the terminal-that is a PITA I will not go thru again.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Teching In

My car is an 02 with 23,000 miles on it. I have heard the batteries from gm are lousy, could be.?. What do you mean jumper it?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

The batteries from GM are not "lousy." -Just over rated in terms of longevity as are all batteries on the market today. Unless you are going to go with an absorbant glass mat type battery- mucho expensive; why not just add a reminder to your maintenance schedule to buy a battery more often and if the old one still has some life in it just give it to the neighborhood kids-Mad scientist power supply- let em go behind Walmart and blow up some turds...