PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handheld Scan Tool Advice - Equus Innova 3110?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Handheld Scan Tool Advice - Equus Innova 3110?

So school started back up for me on January 7th. I left home the 6th and went up to my college in Philly. I came back yesterday and now my car's throwing an SES light. Great. Wasn't doing that when I left. It's not flashing, so I assume it's something emissions related. Yes, I have longtubes, but I had the emissions codes tuned out and I've never had a code thrown since the header install.

It's important to note that this is the coldest it's been all winter in South Jersey - 20's and 30's. Since the emissions codes are deleted and it's very cold out, I'm guessing the SES light is one of two things:

1.) Either the O2's are getting warm enough since the longtubes pushed them further downstream or
2.) I'm running lean

Not sure what else it could be, but I haven't had a chance to scan my car yet and I'm going back up to Philly tomorrow so I won't have time to do it this weekend and I won't be home for at least 2 weeks.

Because of this, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and dropping a few dollars on a handheld scan tool. I don't need anything fancy. I don't need tuning software, I don't need anything that'll give me a million different readouts, I don't need data logging, etc...I'm just a broke college student that would like a universal OBD-II handheld so I can scan my car - and anyone else's out of my family and friends who throw a code on an OBD-II system - without ever having to find a shop to scan my computer (or worse, charge me for a 2 minute scan ).

I was looking at this one scan tool. It's called the Equus Innova 3110. Plain and simple, I know nothing about these. It does everything I'm looking according to the documentation and it has good reviews. I just want to make sure I don't drop $1XX and get something of poor quality.

I was hoping someone who had this unit (or another unit by this manufacturer) could chime in and tell me their experiences. Nothing comes up with the search, so it looks like these little handhelds aren't too popular around here. If anyone's had good or bad experiences with this company - or have good experiences with another similar handheld in the sub-$150 price range, please let me know. It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

Here's the info on it:

* Retrieves diagnostic trouble codes and definitions (in English, Spanish, or French) from your vehicle's computer to help diagnose problems
* Reads check engine light warnings on 1996 and newer vehicles through any OBDII protocol, including CAN (Controller Area Network)
* Displays freeze frame data
* Automatic refresh updates data every 30 seconds when connected to the vehicle
* Unique patented all-in-one screen display and LED display

The Equus 3110 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner offers an easy, effective way to troubleshoot OBD II vehicles. This powerful and rugged tool quickly reveals the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings on any 1996 and newer car, light truck, or SUV--foreign and domestic.

A large display makes it easy to see what your car is trying to tell you.

Easily diagnose your vehicle's trouble codes. See product details.
The tool features a unique, patented all-in-one screen display and an LED display for quick emissions status checks. Meanwhile, the 3110's automatic refresh updates data every 30 seconds when connected to the vehicle, offering an easy way to verify repair completion. The device easily retrieves OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), including generic codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) and manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3, and U1). The 3110 communicates with all OBD II protocols, including CAN (Controller Area Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, and KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4.

Adding to the 3110's ease of use, the display offers on-screen code definitions and you can view freeze frame data, which provides a "snapshot" of the vehicle's operating conditions at the time of the fault. The 3110's menu system allows you to set the interface to display trouble codes and definitions in English, Spanish, and French. An internal battery stores the latest test results for later review and analysis, and to accommodate future vehicles, the tool is fully upgradeable via a standard Windows-based PC. Equus' OBD-PC Link software is included with the tool, making upgrades a snap.

Manufacturer Warranty
One-year limited warranty.

Product Description
Save time and money - know what's wrong before servicing your vehicle. Access the same diagnostic information as larger scan tools - for less! Turn off CHECK ENGINE warning lamp, clear codes and reset monitor status. Perform drive cycles without an assistant - automatically re-links every 15 seconds. Prevent future costly repairs and maintain engine performance with routine inspections. Inspect a used vehicle before buying or selling. Features and Benefits: Retrieves OBD2 DTCs: Generic Codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0), Manufacturer Specific Codes (P1, P3, and U1) - Included Communication Protocols: C.A.N. (Controller Area Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4 - LCD Specification: Custom Graphic LCD Display Line x Character = 7 x 22 / Maximum 154 Characters, LCD Size - 2.36" x 1.57" (60 x 40 mm) - Emission Related DTC's - Displayed on Single Screen: DTC's (Generic Codes P0, P2, P3, U0), Manufacturer Specific Codes (P1, P3, and U1), Identifies and Displays Pending Codes, MIL (Check Engine) Light Status, Code sequencing by importance. Code 01 commands the MIL on and stored Freeze Frame data, Total # of Codes Retrieved, Monitor Status, OBD I/M Readiness Status - Complete / All-in-One Display - Easy / Plug-n-Play User Interface - Lightning fast connection retrieves diagnostic data in 10 to 15 seconds! - Includes CAN Protocol - Code Definition Displayed on Unit - Includes Spanish Interface & Definitions (selected by a menu command) - OBD I/M Readiness LED Indicators - Displays Freeze Frame Data - Detachable and replaceable 14-Pin OBD2 / CAN Cable - Memory / Battery backup for off-car review and analysis - Unit can be flash updated with a standard Windows® PC (OBD-PC LinkTM software required) - Easy-to-Use - Package includes 3110 Tool, Soft Nylon Case, OBD-PC LinkTM Software CD, Serial PC Cable, 3 AA batteries, OBD2 (DLC) Cable and Instruction Manual - For further details, please visit www.canobd2.com.

This ad is from Amazon, but if there are any sponsors on this site that sell this unit for a similar price, I'd much rather get it from you. If any sponsors read this and carry this item, please let me know.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at those at Kragen's.
I've had a Predator for over 5 years and I recently purchased the EFILive scan tool.

You can buy the EFI Live scan tool for $250 which is a lot more, but it does 10 times more. If you just want to read and clear DTCs I guess the Innova would be good. EFILive will tell you about all of your eingine parameters and record them in logs for you to study. It takes more time to learn and you need a latop (a PC will work, but a laptop is better) to run it. Later you can upgrade EFILive scan tool to the full tuning version for another $250 and modify your tunes with your mods.

Just my $o.o2. One thing I hate is to waste $10 when I really needed a $20 tool.

All that being said...I was looking as these Innova units yesterday and they look pretty nice. If you just need DTC info it looks like a good tool.

Last edited by ssheets; 01-27-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Resident

Yea I saw the EFI Live tool. It's really too much for me. I don't need all that functionality and I really don't ever intend to drive around with a laptop. I'd rather take the extra $125 and put it towards a real dynotune which will be better than anything I could ever do with that EFI Live tool. Plus, the EFI Live tool, I believe, is only good on GM platforms or maybe even limited to your VIN or LSx applications. I want something good on ALL cars and everyone I know has a 1996+ year car, so this would be good for anyone that really needs assistance.

When you really think about it, the EFI Live tool is the limited one. If my family or friends have an issue, I can use the Innova whereas the EFI Live tool is worthless to them.

Quick Reply: Handheld Scan Tool Advice - Equus Innova 3110?