Sponsored by:

FI tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default FI tuning question

I am ordering HPTuners this week.
I am putting on my turbo kit end of the month.
I have been reading on how to tune and have an understanding of all that's involved...still learning.
Question for the FI guys, what is the first thing I need to work on to get into boost? I will be using SD.

Last edited by maxgee; 03-11-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first thing to do is to license your car with the custom operating system. depending on how much boost your car will see, the are a few choices. pretty had to do a turbo set-up on a first tune. you and your motor will probably come out better hiring a pro to show you some tuning to get you going..
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbojosh
the first thing to do is to license your car with the custom operating system. depending on how much boost your car will see, the are a few choices. pretty had to do a turbo set-up on a first tune. you and your motor will probably come out better hiring a pro to show you some tuning to get you going..
The turbo set up I have came off another car and it had a hptune, so i put the ecu in my car, flashed the tune and will reinstall my ecu and upload the tune. I don't have a wideband 02 yet, but thinking of going to the dyno and running some numbers with 8psi making sure with the wideband I'm in a good AFR. Does this sound like a viable option?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, not for SD, you can't just pull a tune from a different setup and load it up. I mean you can, but it won't be right.

If you want that thing to hold up, there is no shortcut, you take all of the steps neccessary to tune your unique combination just like everyone else does.

Don't even bother beginning to tune (except for startup and idle) until you get your wideband.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
No, not for SD, you can't just pull a tune from a different setup and load it up. I mean you can, but it won't be right.

If you want that thing to hold up, there is no shortcut, you take all of the steps neccessary to tune your unique combination just like everyone else does.

Don't even bother beginning to tune (except for startup and idle) until you get your wideband.
fyi:I didn't pull a tune from a different set up, I have the exact set up, turbo and all the hardware removed from another f body and put onto mine. The turbo set up was tuned on the street with a wideband, I pulled the tune from the same car.
I am going to place an order for one in a few days, just doing some research on the best one for me.
Thanks

Last edited by maxgee; 04-04-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two main things you want to do to run under any kind of boost is 1st Decrease your timing where you should start making any boost
2nd Add more fuel in the area that will be seeing boost
good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1-bar or 2-bar SD?

The timing map is in airmass (g/cyl or g/sec I always forget which), not kpa, so keep that in mind. Thinking kpa when looking at the timing map will have you changing too little of the table.

The timing map is not extended going from 1-bar to 2-bar. So you have to build the timing at the end of the table, to cover the highest level of boost you plan to run.

2-bar will give you a Boost PE table to fatten it up even more, just under boost.

The VE table will make a quick up-turn where the boost comes on, then stablize again, because the efficiency of the engine changes significantly right there as the turbo gets spooled up.

Wideband definitely.

If you go to 2-bar, the VE table gets whacked (on purpose). Fix that up before trying to start the car. Copy in the old table into the matching regions. Make the boost region fat (i.e. 120%) and bring it back in line using the wideband.