PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam.... need tuning help (KR)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New cam.... need tuning help (KR)

Ok i just put the cam, valve springs, pushrods and ASP pulley in. Now i get 3.9-4 degrees of knock that comes in above 5k rpm then dies right off. Sometimes it goes 4....3.9..3.8....0 and sometimes it counts down through all the numbers. I have replaced the knock sensors, used top end engine cleaner (sea foam), put race gas in, checked my exhaust for anything that could be hitting, etc.. I even put my stock pulley on.... no difference. I do get KR when i shift hard which makes me think something with the exhaust is hitting... but i already clearanced everything that i thought could be causing a problem. I do however on hard shifts get a "high maf freq" code that sets my SES light off.
My L-trims lock in at 0 thanks to 15% rich on the base with the MAFT i am borrowing... 02's read 905-920 WOT and of course i am now on the low timing table due to the KR.

So i am going to copy my high timing table to the low, fix my Ltrims so i don't need the maft, i guess aim for a little leaner.. say 880-890? But what can i do to desensitize my K sensors? I see all of the tables in Edit..but i don't know which to change. This knock has got to be false....and it is really hurting my times so i need to do something about it.

Thanks for any help
Old 07-23-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: New cam.... need tuning help (KR)

Well welcome to the world of knock for the 98 PCM's do a search on it and you'll find alot. I have the same problem where I have 3.8-4.0 KR in the top of 3rd and 4th and i have just basic bolt-ons right now. checked everything so nothings banging (ie. exhaust) I think you can desensitize them somehow w/ edit, so maybe someone can shed some more light on that for us.

On another note how do you like that cam? I have the same one going in but on a 112 LSA once I get my ASP.

JR
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Turbo Addict

he he.. yea i have searched and read and searched and read all the posts concerning '98s knock problem.. and just KR in general. I have tried everything also... so i don't know what to do except manually get rid of it.

Well the car had a hot cam in it when i bought it.. which is on a 112. It definitely sounded alot meaner at idle than the TR cam...
Since my tuning has been all screwed up, i haven't seen any difference other than a little noiser valvetrain and a better idle...but i am editing my car this evening so i will post back up.

he he sorry didn't help you much.... but there are a ton of guys that love the TR cams, so i am sure i will like mine.

-Jarrod
Old 07-23-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried mixing higher octane gas in there and seeing if it goes away? I believe thats how most tell if its false knock.

hope you get that car running right man
Old 07-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Turbo Addict

Hey HD... yea i put some race gas in it yesterday, no change.

Update.. MM helped me tune it via edit... copied my timing tables, removed the maft and richened the base with the inj. flowrate table, upped my rev limit to 6500... might go higher, but don't want to push it with the stock bottom end... thoughts?

We also did a few other things....oh.. also upped the maf fail freq to 12,000... which i think was causing the KR on shifts.. i would get a SES light "maf high freq" code.

Anyways, right now the car is running SO much better... i logged it earlier.. everything looks good... but i did a 1-2-3-4 pass and got 3.9 degrees (then it went down quickly) when i punched in 1st, but all other gears were 0.

I am going to fool with it somemore tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys.... and HD, see ya Sunday..woohoo!
Old 07-24-2003, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear all is well now... must just be that 98 KR thing. Mine doesnt do that unless I let off on the gas after a WOT run or at slight throttle. Im working on my slight throttle KR now. Just a little timing being pulled here and there. As long as my WOT looks good im happy though

see ya this weekend