PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed HPP3 and now I have an SES light. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed HPP3 and now I have an SES light. Help!

I installed an HPP3 tuning on my 2000 Z28 on Tuesday and I just got a solid lit SES light this morining (Thursday) on the way to work. Can't hear any pinging. Hypertech says they've never heard of any problem with a car with stock MAF before. I'm betting the engine is leaned out too far but I'm not sure what to do to get this cleared up. I'd like to keep the more aggressive programing but I don't want to damage the engine. Anyone know what to do about this?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Just installed HPP3 and now I have an SES light. Help!

What r your mods??? Also, you could go to AUTOZONE and they can tell u what the code is!!! Maybe its not to late to refund and get the Predator!
Old 08-08-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree get the Predator! You can adjust it and also they will do custom tunes for you. Can't do that with the HPP3. They have also hinted that they are going to make a software upgrade for the Predator that will allow it to datalog so you can see what is happening(long term while driving). This will also give you the info you would need to send to get a custom tune after magor mods.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Teching In

I remembered that a young friend of mine is training at the local J.C. to become a smog referee so I hauled the car over there. The code was a P0420 that indicated an error condition on the #1 bank O2 sensor. Our guess is that the HPP3 tuning created a sufficient variation in the O2 levels coming out of the back of the cat on the driver's side to trigger the light. We erased the code and I'm back on the street with no light. He told me that, if I brought the car in for a smog check and the code was on the computer, I'd probably get a bunch of crap from the testing station and could be failed and sent to a referee. I can't send the Hypertech back because I bought it used (probably from someone who bought a Predator). I don't want to buy the O2 sims because they're too damn expensive for something that doesn't add power, but I may have to.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles on the car?? After 25K and depending on use, O2 sensors become dirty and can develop false readings. I use HPP3, never had that problem. BOSH recommends changing O2 sensors at every major tune for best performance.