PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does any one have info on the flash chips??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does any one have info on the flash chips??

Im looking for information on the 2 diffent flash chips in my 96 Transam. I am going to be flahing them at work(if possible) but i need more info on the chips it self. Thanks for any help
Old 08-12-2003, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: does any one have info on the flash chips??

96 B,D,F, 4399 PCM 2 x HC11s

E side 28F512 Flash , T side 28F010.

GM VPW H1850 Comms , 10.4kbs Normal Mode , 4X High Speed Mode 41.6Kbs Baud Rates.

4X Mode only used for Special Function Diagnostic and Flash Programming.

Tune Up essentially same as 8051. Crank Position sensor Input Added for Misfire Detection

Code added to OBD2 Firmware. 2 Pre and 2 Post 4 Wire HO2s.

More info can be found at:
http://pcm.dxsoftware.com/forum/
Old 08-12-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

WAY OVER MY HEAD. IM LOST. I THINK I GOT MY SELF WAY OVER MY HEAD ON THIS ONE. I got the bin data in need in order to refash my chips. My problem is that i can not get the stupid machin to flash this type of chip.
Im going to have to writen some type of custom program so the bitch will know how to flash the chip. Its pulling the wrong data and running some preset program. They have it set like this so the techs on the floor will not mess up things. So i have to find a way around it. And when i go to select the type of chip from the selection my chip is not on the list. Maybe i should just breake down pay the 50 dollars to get it to the shop an pay the 80 to get it re-vin flashed.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

if yoru software odesn't have the chip as an option and you can't find one that has the exact parameters you are SOL.

Not easy to "write" your own software for a hardware device to read/write flash chips. You'd have to be a l33t guru to do such a thing.

Pulling flash chips is major PITA. You also risk contact issues when you put the chips back. This isn't such a problem with the older chips but with the newer 44 pin PSOP ones.. good luck, you're gonna need it.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i went to some of the nerds in the upstairs offices who are the gurus. This guys is going to try and pick it out leg by leg. We will see if he can pull this off. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

leg by leg is bad. legs are fragile and will bend.

If you ahvent' removed teh chips already don't. Just get the PCM reflashed from a dealer if possible.

I've ruined countless PCM's through the remove chip method. If you don't know what you're doing, its real easy to screw up.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

No i already have the chips off the bds. I do this type of work for a living. I also already installed socktes that we had right in our stock room. What i meant was that the nurd boys up stairs said something about pick out the code leg by leg or somthing like that. I dont understand all of this code and flash stuff. But as far as the soldering piece of cake. Any ways today is the last day for letting him try and solve this problem. Ive been stuck in the city for almost a week now. So im may just put it all back to gether and tow the bitch and pay out the *** for the dealer to **** me. Anyways magnus thanks for the help....peace