PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running like absolute crap after driving in water.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car running like absolute crap after driving in water.

My car was running perfect last night, today it started misfiring like crazy and would stumble and would hesitate before accelerating. I made it to work by the time it fully warmed up.

Last night i was forced to drive in the rain and had to drive in some flooded conditions. Id say water up to my front bumper for about 20 feet a couple times. It was fine when i shut it off. I believe it might be related.

Later in the day it seemed to run fine but something still wasnt right the last time i drove it. Still has the slightest stumble.

What do you think happened? Honestly it wouldnt surprise me if o2 sensors are the problem. I am running closed loop again and I honestly couldve done a better job weatherproofing my o2s when i extended them. Just used e-tape when i did it because i was intending to just run open loop.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

you probably got the maf wet...try unplugging it...
what kinda exhaust do you have?...i left my car against a high sidewalk in the rain once and i got water in my short exhaust...o2s went bad after.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Launching!

My exaust is not welded, and was not tightend good at the time. When I drove through some water, I had the same results you are talking about. Then, mine ran fine after about a 15 min. shut off. I was guessing my o2's got wet.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

open cutout so definitely a possibility. My wideband seems to be ok though. Havent gotten around to logging the narrowbands.