2 Cars Same problem, My cars Hate the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 Cars Same problem, My cars Hate the track

I am starting to hate the track too!!!
Car number 1:
1987 IROC 406 CI Roller cam 230/236 576/571 113, Holley stealth ram intake and fuel rail system, Commander 950 fuel management 30# injectors 60 PSI fuel pump. On the street this thing is a torque monster just a flip of the pedal lights up the tires, I can drive it around bouncing off the 6000 RPM rev limiter all day long......When I go to the track....at around 4500 RPM's it dies...like someone flipped off the fuel pump, or stuck a sock in the intake. The wide band goes lean, but not off the scale....it just won't pull, Let off the pedal and it starts to go again. I just put in the LS1 fuel pump thinking I just did not have enough fuel, on the street it is fine, still dies at the track

Car Number 2:
Specs are in sig.....Just went to track last night. After the car has been driving perfect around town, and some blasts on the highway....The first trip to the track and WTF?? Around 4500-5000 RPMS....SAME THING, no power! AM I CURSED???? Lift off the pedal and it started to go again, I just got EXTREMELY irratated and left the track, of course the entire trip home the car went like an animal I kept pulling over and starting from first gear and it pulled all the way to 6000 RPM's.
I am not sure if I am tuning something wrong, or if there is a problem, but I cannot figure out why it only seems to happen at the track??? Somewhere someone must have had this problem????
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a log of each you are kinda shooting in the dark.

Most of the time when i see that it is the inlet tubing trying to close in on itself and blocking airflow.

At the track you are plugging in your car to the light Tree right? Maybe it just dont know you are able to go and the car is just waiting for the green light. j/k
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Teching In

It sounds like maybe it's your fuel pickup in the tank sucking air. The extra traction at the track is forcing more fuel to the rear of the tank exposing your pickup. Fill your tank next time before you race and see if it still happens.

Lee
Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 71_firebird
It sounds like maybe it's your fuel pickup in the tank sucking air. The extra traction at the track is forcing more fuel to the rear of the tank exposing your pickup. Fill your tank next time before you race and see if it still happens.

Lee
That sounds logical......I actually was logging my Trans am when it happened but had selected the wrong PID list
If it ever stops raining.....I will hit the track again with more fuel and log the whole thing.
It just sucks when you drive around for weeks and the car goes perfect, you think you have it all dialed in....then make the trek to the track and then
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pressure gauge would determine if that is what is happening, So get one if you can. I dont think that is the cause though.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

I went last night, 3/4 tank, I drove all the way there pulling to 6000 RPM where possible, not one issue then my 416 SC pulled off a nice 19 second run at 70 MPH. I got it logged this time, but I am not even sure I logged all I needed....I will try to get the log posted and beg for help or take it to someplace with a dyno, it is so hard to diagnose something that starts happening around 100 MPH.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Pulling to 6k, then backing out, may not give the fuel system time to "run out", while a WFO all the way thru the 1/4 will.
I'd suggest W4me's idea, and get a FP gauge on it, and see wtf is going on....