PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid traction control.....HELP ME OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid traction control.....HELP ME OUT!

Okay so I am having a weird problem on my 2000 SS. Basically the traction control is somehow turning itself off (I am not pressing the button) and then simultaneously the SES light will come on. For a while the car would correct itself and the SES light would go off. Now the SES light stays on even after I clear the codes.

When the car turns off the ASR-TCS by itself, the button will not work at all- it is the weirdest thing. The car can be having this issue, I can PARK IT- turn off the car, then immediately RESTART IT and the button works fine.

So I checked the switch, threw some electric (dialectic) grease on the connection and the problem persists.

I have a Snap-On scanner tool that reads a code - Traction Control Disabled. When I look in the data fields with the car running, it reads TCS Active - Off.

Now when the car was tuned, the tuner told me that the traction control would not work like it used to, it would be better. After the tune, the car NEVER had this problem for like 1000 miles or 6 months. I disconnected the battery for a while the other day, and immediately even before the computer had a chance to learn the idle characteristics and so on, the damn light came on (ASR OFF).

The only thing I can think of is that there is a module behind the dash or something that got fouled up when I was INSTALLING THE STEREO (running speaker wires) or something. Although I can't really see a single speaker wire damaging or disconnecting the module, I guess anything can happen. I know the switch works fine, unless the problem is intermittent. I know there is also a connection on the rearend somewhere, but I don't think it is that- How often do the sensors in the rearend go out?

This problem is driving me frickin crazy cause I hate brite *** SES lights when the car runs perfect except for a traction control issue, which is a system I don't need at all (Hawaii weather). I know you can use the SLP reversal switch, but somehow I don't think that will correct the problem.

Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the issue with the TCS turning off and it won't go off until I shut the car off.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scorch1
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the issue with the TCS turning off and it won't go off until I shut the car off.
I too have the very same issue. I haven't moved on finding a solution yet.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Launching!

When the light comes on my car starts bogging down. Do you have that issue too?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Fortunately, I do not have the bogging issue.