PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KR comes on religiously at about 4500 RPM in second gear...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KR comes on religiously at about 4500 RPM in second gear...

I've had a problem for a while now with my timing. When I go WOT, I see no KR through first gear, and then in second, as soon as I get to about 4500RPM, KR goes straight to about 3.9 degrees. I've got headers and a Vig2800, and I ran a 13.3@103 with a 1.9 60'

When I ran at the track, my O2s were reading between 750 and 900mV, which sounds kinda lean, so I reset the PCM. I took it out today after changing the plugs and wires (had some NGK TR55IXs and Bosch +2 Platinums in there, changed 'em out for copper NGK TR55s). The O2s were more toward 920-950mV, so I think the reset did something for fuel, but sure enough, as soon as I got to 4500RPM, KR kicked in.

Would REAL knock do this? Is the only way to find out for sure to put high-octane fuel in it? Any obvious things I should look for? Torque management only pulls timing on the shifts, right? It doesn't use Knock Retard, does it?

Old 09-07-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: KR comes on religiously at about 4500 RPM in second gear...

I'm havin the same problem. I'm thinking mine is because of the headers causing false knock. I hope we both find out what it is tho!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: KR comes on religiously at about 4500 RPM in second gear...

It's normal to get more knock in higher gears, because load increases. You can try race gas. My car did the same as yours, so I reduced timing 10% across the board, just as a test. It got rid of the knock. I worked on the timing, setting it higher at low rpms and moving it up slowly at higher values. I found that reducing timing in the areas prior to the knock really worked the best and enabled greater timing where the knock occurred.

Quick Reply: KR comes on religiously at about 4500 RPM in second gear...