Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove my 'puter to send to mti

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove my 'puter to send to mti

Just bought the c1 222/222 566/566 112 cam & valvetrain upgrade....and i'm not running headers yet by the way...damn....anyway how do i remove the computer in order to send it to MTI (per their recommendation)
OR should i just have it dyno-tuned here in Detroit after i eventually get headers(and pay an extra $50)

I hear that dude knows how to tune VERY well....but i bet its geared to people with headers...obviously....also if my battery dies do i loose my tuning ?
Old 09-09-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to remove my 'puter to send to mti

So the computer is in the back of the engine compartment behind the shock tower on the passenger side. You actually see two big connectors, but not the computer.

First off, using a 7mm socket and ratchet, remove the two bolts that hold the two harness plugs onto the computer. After you unscrew these (they wont come out, they will lift up the connector instead) you will be able to remove the two large connectors by gently pulling from both ends with equal force. Try and lift it straight off.

You then have a choice ot make. You cna remove the computer and mounting bracket, or try adn remove the computer from the bracket. The first time, remove the whole assembly.

So to do this, remove the two 10mm bolts that hold down the black plastic surrounding the computer. Now for the tricky part: Hold the large wiring harness to the right hand side out of the way and then while lifting straight out on the computer, oyu need to pull the plastic part of the cowl back so that the computer/bracket can slide out.

Once out, you can see how you would remove the metal computer fromthe black plastic mounting plate. Its easy to do by hand.

Using a paint marker or Sharpee, write your name on the computer, properly package it against shock, and mail it off to Houston

chris
Old 09-09-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh and yeah: sorry for the misspellings...trying to type very fast.

The computer does not lose tunign when you lose battery power, and also doesnt lose tuning if you reset it by removing the PCM battery fuse or removing the computer from the car.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

So the computer is in the back of the engine compartment behind the shock tower on the passenger side. You actually see two big connectors, but not the computer.

First off, using a 7mm socket and ratchet, remove the two bolts that hold the two harness plugs onto the computer. After you unscrew these (they wont come out, they will lift up the connector instead) you will be able to remove the two large connectors by gently pulling from both ends with equal force. Try and lift it straight off.

You then have a choice ot make. You cna remove the computer and mounting bracket, or try adn remove the computer from the bracket. The first time, remove the whole assembly.

So to do this, remove the two 10mm bolts that hold down the black plastic surrounding the computer. Now for the tricky part: Hold the large wiring harness to the right hand side out of the way and then while lifting straight out on the computer, oyu need to pull the plastic part of the cowl back so that the computer/bracket can slide out.

Once out, you can see how you would remove the metal computer fromthe black plastic mounting plate. Its easy to do by hand.

Using a paint marker or Sharpee, write your name on the computer, properly package it against shock, and mail it off to Houston

chris
Damn Nice Answer/reply Visceral!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I spent about 7 minutes trying to get mine out. Came on here and searched and read this it took about 30 seconds when I went back. Thanks for the great description.