Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Rewiring '95 TCS switch harness for'97+ TCS switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rewiring '95 TCS switch harness for'97+ TCS switch

Rewiring '95 TCS switch harness for'97+ TCS switch

I am currently upgrading my center console in my '95 trans am to '97 trans am console. I noticed that the '95 switch has four pins and the '97 switch has 5 pins.

Is it possible to rewire the '97 switch to work in a '95, I didn't think they changed the TCS system from'95-'97 but I could be wrong. I ran some continuity tests on each switch and determined the wiring. Here is what I came up with:

I know that the '95 switch is a monetary switch so it is always open until pressed. When this happens the bulb turns off.

For the '95 diagram I suspect that the brown wire and the purple/white wire are the light bulb circuit and the black/white white wire and the brown/ white wire are the switch circuit.

For the '97 diagram I suspect that 1 and 2 are the light bulb circuit and either 3 and 5 or 4 and 5 are the switch circuit.

Does anyone have an official wiring diagram for the 95 and 97 switch. and are both bulbs 12v?

Who has done this rewiring before?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did almost the exact same thing you're doing. Except for me it was upgrading from the older 2nd gear start switch to the newer one (V6 option). It was easy enough for me because each switch had 5 wires, and the newer switch only had 2 wires that were different colors than the original. So it was pretty easy to figure out with a test light.

Not sure if I can be of any help to you any. Most I could do is tell you what wire colors went to what. My original 2nd gear start button looked nothing like your original TCS switch. Where was that mounted on the console? I've never seen that before. Also if you plan on getting rid of your old switch, let me know.. I like collecting them... for some reason.