Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Odd leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd leak?

Well when i first got the car the powersteering fluid seemed low so i added more. I guess i overfilled it, and it spewed out of the powersteering reserivor. Well ever since then i get this smell once the car heats up and it smells like burnt powersteering fluid. Oddly enough on the passenger side i noticed there was a greenish fluid leaking under the car. Everything uptop is dry. Idk if it could be just condinsation from ac?? I haven't had the ac on since i got the car. I overfilled the powersteering like 3weeks ago and still get the smell. The leak isn't much... but its quite noticable and doesnt appear to be normal. The temp is running fine/oil pressures fine. I'm figured the smell would be from the liquid spilling over onto the manifolds.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Was it just low from not ever being checked? You might have a leak on your pressure hose. When I first got my car, the pressure hose had a nasty leak.

Has your radiator been filled with green coolant or do you still have the orange dexcool? The green might be coolant, and you might be leaking it (which could run into an overheating condition due to lack of coolant)
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

honestly dont know. I'll check it tommorrow and see what i can figure out. But as of right now i cant find a leak anywhere.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Drove it around today, car was fine. I get home, and i get that smell again. like soemthings burning. I look and theres some slight smoke coming from my passenger manifold. Theres Some metal hose that connects to the top of the mainifold and thats where the smoke was coming from. Any ideas??
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Do you still have your AIR system? or EGR, I'm not sure which. Sounds like where one of those connects (both were removed from my car when I got it, not sure which it is that connects to the top of passenger side manifold, but one of them does.)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what a buddy of mine told me....is that the LS-1s have a tendency to boil the power steering resevoir. He told me summit sells a kit that has a small radiator like cooler for it for a cheap price. If I remember right, it was under $50. When I got mine, it looked as if the reservoir had gunk all over it and all over the front of the engine. I gunked it down a couple weeks ago and I haven't had issues since. If I see that its boiling over, I'll look up the mod.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Well the odd thing is.. my powersteering res. is on my drivers side. The leaks/smoking are coming from passenger side. Its quite odd, i cant really figure out what it could be. I still have my erg and all that. Theres some metal pipe that comes down and bolts right onto the manifold. Thats where the smokes coming from.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002redhawk
Theres some metal pipe that comes down and bolts right onto the manifold. Thats where the smokes coming from.
That pipe would be the A.I.R. pipe. I don't know why the smoke would be coming from there. The water pump is right next to that area and if you are thinking you are smelling coolant/antifreeze than you may have a waterpump leak. There is a port on the left side and a port on the right side of the motor where the waterpump mates up that have very small gaskets. Mine started leaking sometime last year out of nowhere. It's really easy to change though. I noticed mine leaking from underneath while I was changing the oil. I couldn't see anything from the top and it never left any puddles. It just smelled after driving it around.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Odd leak?