Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

got a key switch problem HELP (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation got a key switch problem HELP (LONG)

hope this is the right forum. if it isn't please let me know and i'll either move it or someone can move it for me.
My 01 Formula is having a strange problem. the car has sat for 2 months i cranked it up and moved it around the yard but didn't drive it
Tags was out and i really didn't have 500.00 dollars to register it.
anyway i got it tagged friday and cranked it up and drove it back up to the house parked it and killed it. the key would not come out of the key switch. it would not turn all the way back to lock so i could pull the key out. now the car will start and turn off but will not go into the lock position so i can remove the key. also i can move the shifter in and out of park and can crank it up and drive it anywhere kill it and restart it i just can't get the dam key out of it.
Today i go out and crank it o move it key is still in the ingition, cranked it up moved it and turned the key off and it CAME RIGHT OUT. ok now i'm really happy but confused but ok whatever. goto to the store and get something dam key won't come out again *&*&$#$@%. i get home key still won't come out i disconnect the battery and leave it for about 3 hours come out with the battery still disconnected and key comes right out. reconect the battery and drive it down the road come home key comes right out. shifter is locked and i can't get it out of park till i put the key in it like it should do. what the hell is the problem and how the hell do i fix it. sorry it was so long
thanks, Charles
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Exact same thing happened to me. The park/neutral switch has a pin that's set to engage when its in park or neutral, hence the name. This pin broke on mine and I cant even engage park fully therefore the key wont come out.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fbodytech
Exact same thing happened to me. The park/neutral switch has a pin that's set to engage when its in park or neutral, hence the name. This pin broke on mine and I cant even engage park fully therefore the key wont come out.
well disconnected my battery and left it for about 3 or 4 hours. (I was told to try this on another forum) it seems to have corrected the problem for now.
don't know if that was the problem but its worked fine for about a week now.
Fingers crossed and all that **** lol
thanks for the help though man.
Charles